top end - just rings?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

piston or rings? which have you done.

standard piston and rings
100%
just rings
No votes
+.25 piston and rings
No votes

Total votes: 3

fizzle
BMX
BMX

top end - just rings?

Post by fizzle »

i've been all through the links,
and it seems that very few people bore and try again.
it seems like this is a rings kinda job.
but my question is - is this just a steel bore?
isn't new rings what people do for nikasil or eletro bore.
i guess really what i'm asking is:
is it worth the 20 dollars in rings, to not just spend the extra 30 dollars on the piston and go bigger?
do just new rings restore the power?
i hate to drop money into this free spree of mine - but who would of thought scoots would be so much fun.
not me.
boy is my face red.
stay safe
bye
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

if nothing is wrong with the piston or the cylinder but you are losing power i would change the rings.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Spree cylinders are iron. Not sure what the rings are made of, I believe they're cast too (and thus easily broken.)

Many guys realize that by the time you pay for a bore and hone on a Spree, you've exceeded the scooter's value. And since you can often find an engine cheap, or a used matched piston/cylinder cheap, they go that route.

Overbores are needed if the bore is scored or badly worn. If you catch low compression early (below 100 psi or so on these) you can rering it and only need a hone, which can be done at home.

Badly worn cylinders should be measured with a bore scope, but most ppl don't bother with this step, and they only bore if the cylinder is scored. Seems to be working for most, ultimate test is assembled and broken-in compression testing.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
jbarb
Spree
Spree

Post by jbarb »

noiseguy wrote: Many guys realize that by the time you pay for a bore and hone on a Spree, you've exceeded the scooter's value. And since you can often find an engine cheap, or a used matched piston/cylinder cheap, they go that route.

Thats the conclusion I just came to. It would be 60 dollars for the bore and hone and about 40-60 dollars for the piston and rings.

I checked on ebay and I found a complete motor with 1400 miles on it. Ended up winning it for 96 bucks. Its a bit pricey but I will have a spare everything.