Not getting any Spark

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jaycool25
Noob
Noob

Not getting any Spark

Post by Jaycool25 »

Hey guys my first post, love the forum.

Anyways, I├óÔé¼Ôäóve been slowly restoring an '86 Honda spree. Pretty good shape, originally when I got it, the piston rings where shot, that├óÔé¼Ôäós since been dealt with. From there I had the carb rebuilt, cleaned, tweaked etc.

Anyways I have been messing with it for the past few days since the return of my carb. The first day I wasn├óÔé¼Ôäót getting spark then after some fiddling it came back. Then I could run it for a few seconds when I spray starter fluid in the carb, and then the idle shoots up and it dies. The idle I think I have sense fixed, but anyways before we get to that. After pulling it out one day to work on it, I am no longer getting spark again, now I don├óÔé¼Ôäót know what happened before to make it work but I cant seem to do that again.

I've tried different CDI units, rectifiers, and just about all the electronics, made no difference. I checked the primary and secondary coil resistance, and they where in operating range. The green ground wire coming from the coil, I have checked, and its defiantly grounded although I haven├óÔé¼Ôäót found where yet, and the black with the yellow stripe wire coming from the coil I have traced back to the CDI unit, but I am a bit confused as to what the CDI unit does for it. Using a test light from the positive on the battery to both wires going to the coil it lights up, so are they both grounded?

Anyways any suggestions or ideas would be most helpful, I am really excited to get this thing running, and so far from what I read, you guys make that possible.

Thanks in advanced.

Jason
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

you have a bad coil. thats all.
Jaycool25
Noob
Noob

Post by Jaycool25 »

You think? like I've checked the resistance of it and it was in the range the tech manual says it to be, and it seems to work sometimes and die other times, so I am wondering if there is a short somewhere I haven't found yet.

But if it is true, any idea the price of one new/used, or where to get it, or if honda will still sell anything of the sort. Or best yet how to repair it, even if it is sealed :D
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

no reparing ill sell u one
DENMANSHAFFER
Goped
Goped

NO SPARK

Post by DENMANSHAFFER »

NO SPARK IS A HARD PROBLEM TO DIAGNOSE - LOTS OF CAUSES. PEOPLE ON THE SPREE FORUM SAY SPREES HAVE NOTORIOUSLY BAD ELECTRICS, BUT THAT IS NOT MY EXPERIENCE WITH TWO SPREES AND MANY HONDA MOTORCYCLES.
1. MAKE d*** SURE THE HANDLEBAR SWITCH IS IN "RUN" POSITION. TAKE THIS SWITCH APART AND CLEAN THE WHOLE THING THOROUGHLY.
2. DISCONNECT AND RECONNECT EVERY ELECTRICAL PLUG, COUPLING ETC. THAT YOU CAN FIND. WHEN THESE SPREES SIT UP FOR LONG PERIODS, THE BRASS CONNECTORS CAN OXIDIZE OVER.
3. IF YOU ARE KICK STARTING OR ELECTRIC STARTING, YOU MUST HAVE ONE OF THE BRAKES ENGAGED. TAKE THESE SWITCHES APART AND CLEAN THEM THOROUGHLY WITH ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER OR BRAKE PARTS CLEANER. THEY ARE ON THE CLUTCH AND BRAKE PEDESTALS.
4. MAKE SURE THE IGNITION SWITCH IS IN THE "ON" POSITION. IF LIGHTS AND HORN WORK, SWITCH IS ON AND WORKING. IT NOT, TAKE IT APART AND CLEAN IT THOROUGHLY.
5. GOOD LUCK.
Jaycool25
Noob
Noob

Post by Jaycool25 »

hehe, ok i am close to given in on that.. but can you tell me this first, I want to make sure its dead.. is the Black cable with the yellow stripe, also a ground or what? Cause no matter what it doesnt even appear like the coil is getting power, checking voltage readings, when i try and start it, and i check the voltage on the two coil leads i get nothing... So it doesn't appear like my coil is even getting power to begin with.

Thanks for the ideas DENMANSHAFFER i will go try those in the mean time
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

dang... idk... my scoots always fire up. check all ur connections
Jaycool25
Noob
Noob

Re: NO SPARK

Post by Jaycool25 »

DENMANSHAFFER wrote:NO SPARK IS A HARD PROBLEM TO DIAGNOSE - LOTS OF CAUSES. PEOPLE ON THE SPREE FORUM SAY SPREES HAVE NOTORIOUSLY BAD ELECTRICS, BUT THAT IS NOT MY EXPERIENCE WITH TWO SPREES AND MANY HONDA MOTORCYCLES.
1. MAKE d*** SURE THE HANDLEBAR SWITCH IS IN "RUN" POSITION. TAKE THIS SWITCH APART AND CLEAN THE WHOLE THING THOROUGHLY.
2. DISCONNECT AND RECONNECT EVERY ELECTRICAL PLUG, COUPLING ETC. THAT YOU CAN FIND. WHEN THESE SPREES SIT UP FOR LONG PERIODS, THE BRASS CONNECTORS CAN OXIDIZE OVER.
3. IF YOU ARE KICK STARTING OR ELECTRIC STARTING, YOU MUST HAVE ONE OF THE BRAKES ENGAGED. TAKE THESE SWITCHES APART AND CLEAN THEM THOROUGHLY WITH ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER OR BRAKE PARTS CLEANER. THEY ARE ON THE CLUTCH AND BRAKE PEDESTALS.
4. MAKE SURE THE IGNITION SWITCH IS IN THE "ON" POSITION. IF LIGHTS AND HORN WORK, SWITCH IS ON AND WORKING. IT NOT, TAKE IT APART AND CLEAN IT THOROUGHLY.
5. GOOD LUCK.

1,3,4,5 check, and as far as i know i have unplugged everything related to the coil...

What is a sure fire way to test the coil, like how can I hook up a circuit that will just run the spark plug, that way i know if its something on the ped or the coil itself. Just anything that will allow me to knock out shorts and problems with the electrical system itself, and tell me if just the coil is bad.

Also after the Black with yellow stripe goes into the cdi unit, what happens to it there? from all my test it shows that both the wires to the coil are ground is this true? something?

Thanks
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

If the coil resistance checks out the coil is fine, you don't need to replace it.

Is your spark plug cap getting a good connection to the plug wire?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products