CDI not working? Open it up!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ChrisH821
Goped
Goped

CDI not working? Open it up!

Post by ChrisH821 »

If your scoot isn't running and all the specs for checking everything attached to the CDI are good(see manual), chances are you need a new CDI. Or do you?

*not totally necessary backstory*
Well just today I was poking around with the spree and all the sudden it stopped running... I was a bit upset because I had just finished the SE50 swap and wanted to ride a little. So naturally I went straight for the service manual, did all the checks and everything was good and I am thinking "$&^% it's Friday afternoon, where am I going to get a CDI quickly?" Then I remembered researching CDI stuff before and that you can open it to check the soldering joints, I have done this in the past so thought it was a long shot that one would crack in such a short time but decided to open it back up anyway.

To open your CDI, a dremel tool with some cutoff wheels is probably easiest, but they get gummed up from the plastic so do what you like. If you cut around the bottom(not the side with the plug!) just above the corner you should eventually be able to lift it off. This will be difficult because there is rubbery stuff inside that is holding it. Just be patient and careful. Once you have the bottom "cover" off you will be greeted by the circuit board partially of totally covered by the aforementioned black rubbery stuff, take it off carefully being sure not to damage the board.

Once you have cleared off the gunk, check all the solder joints, even with a magnifying glass if you have one and you may find a crack around one or more of the pins coming through the board, as I did. And before you ask yourself, yes, that will keep your scooter from running.
P1010324.JPG
P1010324.JPG (155.43 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
solderCrack.jpg
solderCrack.jpg (151.49 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
If you do find any cracks, just dust off your soldering iron, heat it up and put just a dab of new solder on the joint, making sure it melts together with the solder that was already there. Put the cover back on with hot glue(easiest) or RTV(takes forever to cure).
P1010325.JPG
P1010325.JPG (163.18 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
Pop it back on your scoot, start it up and go for a ride. :coolcruise:
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: CDI not working? Open it up!

Post by mousewheels »

Good job :thumbwink:
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

excellent !

mine cuts out over bumps, and i may take a peek at this
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

Very cool! Thanks I am gonna try this today.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

I tried that on my 85 spree cdi today. I used a milling machine, it did not work too well once I cut through the corner it seemed that the top was still molded to the circuit board. Is that how yours was? Do I need to just pry the top off? Thanks
50mm BBK (tai)
V-8 pipe
ChrisH821
Goped
Goped

Post by ChrisH821 »

deuce217 wrote:I tried that on my 85 spree cdi today. I used a milling machine, it did not work too well once I cut through the corner it seemed that the top was still molded to the circuit board. Is that how yours was? Do I need to just pry the top off? Thanks

Pretty much, the black rubber stuff sort of holds onto the plastic and the circuit board. It takes some effort to get the plastic off once you have cut all the way around the edges, just be careful not to damage the board in the process.
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

ChrisH821 wrote:
deuce217 wrote:I tried that on my 85 spree cdi today. I used a milling machine, it did not work too well once I cut through the corner it seemed that the top was still molded to the circuit board. Is that how yours was? Do I need to just pry the top off? Thanks

Pretty much, the black rubber stuff sort of holds onto the plastic and the circuit board. It takes some effort to get the plastic off once you have cut all the way around the edges, just be careful not to damage the board in the process.
thanks, I will post my video of the milling process. I have a new cdi coming soon so I decided to say F it.
50mm BBK (tai)
V-8 pipe
ChrisH821
Goped
Goped

Post by ChrisH821 »

Nice. Did you manage to get it opened and did you find anything?