Spree flywheels and ignitions early and late models??

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

snowworks
Noob
Noob

Spree flywheels and ignitions early and late models??

Post by snowworks »

I am puting together an 86 Spree motor. I also have alot of parts from an 85. I was putting the flywheel on the 86 (late) and I noticed the 85 (early) was different?? I put on the late flywheel that was on that motor. Then I was going to put on the early fan because that is all I had and the bolt spacing is different. WHAT?? :confused: So I thought about just swaping the flywheels. Then I also thought about what if the stator is different or it might change the timming?? So I guess I could put on the early stator flywheel and fan. It should run good. SO my question is the ignition different from the early and late models?? can they be mixed and matched?? I also noticed the late flywheel has like a added weight on the outside of it. Would that be because they put kick start on them and needed the extra weight to roll it over longer. Any info would be good and I think for now I will put the early ignition on it and see how it runs . :coolcruise:
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Spree flywheels and ignitions early and late models??

Post by mousewheels »

Flywheels, stators, spark trigger coils and crankshafts changed from early to late Sprees.
Timing wise, I'm pretty sure you are ok, guys have swapped in early/late trigger coils w/o problems. CDI is ok. In the Honda service manuals, there is often a comment to swap stator and flywheels as a pair, though in practice many have changed a stator without a matching flywheel.

Never heard much on flywheel weight, although plenty of folks have swapped in kick starts to early Sprees w/o problem or mention of the flywheel.

-- Related info (Spree compatibility) --
You may find some help in a thread where we've been collecting up differences.
Spree/SB50 difference thread
snowworks
Noob
Noob

Re: Spree flywheels and ignitions early and late models??

Post by snowworks »

Today I pulled off the flywheel and stator put in the old stator and then tryed to put on the early flywheel and it would not seat all the way down on the taper?? :*: So I put the origonal late stator back on and the later flywheel and now need the later fan. Now I hope the fan housing are the same. They do bolt on but I just hope the fan does not it the housing. I looked at the stator and they do look to be the same. Trigger coil bolts to the same place. If I had the fan I could mount this in and have it running.. Well get it going but I want to get it together before the weather is turns bad.. Brian
Continue with the Spree. Thanks for the link to the post of differences of the Spree years and there is a note in there that the cranks are different and the flywheels will not interchange. I'll have to get a later flywheel fan. Brian