Anyone have any experience with this tach?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

wilit
Goped
Goped

Anyone have any experience with this tach?

Post by wilit »

Was looking to add a tach for performance tuning and this was the tach I ended up buying.

I did some searching in the archives and it looks like the Spree has 1 ignition pulse per revolution. I set the tach at that setting, but at WOT at max speed, it only registers 4200 rpm, which seems to be half what it should. However, at idle, it shows at about 1800rpm which feels like there's a slight grab on the clutch. I'm wondering if maybe I should set it to 2 pulses per rev? Any ideas?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Anyone have any experience with this tach?

Post by mousewheels »

...at WOT at max speed, it only registers 4200 rpm, which seems to be half what it should. However, at idle, it shows at about 1800rpm which feels like there's a slight grab on the clutch. I'm wondering if maybe I should set it to 2 pulses per rev? Any ideas?
Try futzing around with the pickup wires. If the wraps of wire you put on to make the pickup are nearby an engine case or metal, try moving the pickup to a free area of wire. Experiment some with turns and try a different ground. Most of all, send the company some email, they may have knowledge about Honda scooter installations. After all, there's a bazillion of them around :D

-- The mfg' instructions --
'Installation: Unpack and attach the unit to a location where it can be easily read. Uncoil the shielded wire and wrap the black wire around the engineÔÇÖs spark plug wire 3 or 4 time. The white wire is a ground wire and must be attached to the engineÔÇÖs frame or any other ground.

'If you have any questions about our product, please feel free to contact us at info@andytach.com.Our customer service desk is available 7 days a week and we commit to respond within 48 hours.'
wilit
Goped
Goped

Post by wilit »

Actually, I just re-read the instructions. I had it set for 2 sparks per rev. :oops: I just changed it to 1 and it seems to be more correct.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Good to hear your tach is working better. Tachs which pickup on the ign wire are popular, but electrically I feel can require fiddling with to make work.

The company 'andytach' has a lower cost version which uses a magnet and pickup. It looks to be targeted for power tools. http://www.andytach.com/magento/tach.html Might be handy in the shop...

Your version, the MFG says is good for 99k rpm, should someone have a spark ignition engine that will rev that high :) .
Gerris
Noob
Noob

Re: cheap long distance moving companies

Post by Gerris »

mousewheels wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 pm Good to hear your tach is working better. Tachs which pickup on the ign wire are popular, but electrically I feel can require fiddling with to make work.

The company 'andytach' has a lower cost version which uses a magnet and pickup. It looks to be targeted for power tools. http://www.andytach.com/magento/tach.html see cheap long distance moving companies. Might be handy in the shop...

Your version, the MFG says is good for 99k rpm, should someone have a spark ignition engine that will rev that high :) .

Yes, great answer)