87 Spree 'hesitates', stalls

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

hooj
Noob
Noob

87 Spree 'hesitates', stalls

Post by hooj »

I have a cute little 87 Spree that was running well for a while, till a few days ago. I can start it up cold easily and, as long as I don't go anywhere, it idles fine. But after riding on it for about 1-2 minutes, it starts to 'hesitate'. It looses power momentarily and slows down, but then revs up again very quickly. This happens over and over, and if I pull over and let it idle, it stalls. The oddest thing is, if I 'bounce' on the seat a little bit, it seems to alleviate the problem. I should mention that it had been stored for about a year and a half till this spring.

I'm definitely a scooter noob but I'm stoked to learn so I was hoping somebody could point me in the direction of the trouble. Any ideas? Thanks!
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Sounds like a fuel flow problem.
Things to check.
Check to see if fuel filter is clean
Make sure fuel valve is not sticking
Take off carburetor and clean it inside and out paying special attention to the main jet.
If the bike was sitting for along time chances are the old gas has gummed up your fuel system and all the above will have to be checked.
If you do not have a repair manual I would download one now. It will save you many questions and headaches down the road.
hooj
Noob
Noob

Post by hooj »

Hey, thanks very much, hondaman, you're so kind! I downloaded the repair manual and I'll go at it this weekend... In a few weeks I'll be putting the little guy back into storage till probably around August. Any suggestions to keep the carb and fuel lines from clogging up while it's just sitting around?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Your petcock and/or fuel tank filter is probably clogged. Clean per instructions in tech docs.

You can drain the carb before storage, but I find that I end up having to reclean them anyway. Best thing to do is start it up every 2-4 weeks or so while in storage.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

I always drain the carburetor of any gas by just opening the drain screw until gas is all out of carb. Then I add stabil gas treatment to gas in tank.
I always do this before I put it away for the winter and have never had a problem.