more of the same...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

turtle13
Elite
Elite

more of the same...

Post by turtle13 »

OK so it has been quite a while since i have posted anything, quick recap. rebuilt engine se50 engine with malossi 65cc kit and malossi gears, couldn't get it to start unless throttle is opened. got uber fed up and let it sit for a while, while i dealt with every day life.
cut to now, my works cutting hours left and right, my wife got laid off again... (so no more mr house wife while she is traveling 3-5 days a week for work). its nice out and i want to ride at least one of the 2 wheel vehicles in my garage...

so since last time, i tore down the engine, found some minor air leaks that were happening, cleaned everything back up and put it back in the aero. before re-installation i pressure and vacuum tested the engine, both with the intake tract on and with out, so it would make it easier to track down any plausible air leaks that are there. tested good.

long story short, it is still showing the same signs that i had before. will not start with out having the throttle cracked open. tried pulling the main jet (left the atomizer) and messed around with pilots from 35 to 45 with the same result. took the air cleaner off, changed plug (albeit to an 8 which i know isn't necessarily preferable in this situation, but its the only fresh plug i had) and held my hand over the exhaust to check for exhaust leak, it died so that should be good.

im running out of ideas... i am going to go buy a new compression tester tomorrow after i get off of my short 4 hour stint at work, just to verify that im not beating THE WRONG dead horse. I have heard that having the float set to high on an OKO will have issues... but it doesn't seem like the problem is that picky... i have tweaked the float and it has done the same thing all along.

here is my set up for refrence:
SE50
malossi bbk
malossi wild lion pipe
malossi final gears
OKO 19mm BLK
OKO intake (not CT)
Aero 80 reed block
boyosen aero 80 reeds
plugged oil pump hole
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: more of the same...

Post by eliteguy50 »

Is your idle set too low? Does it take less, more, or the same throttle when you take the air filter off?
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

eliteguy50 wrote:Is your idle set too low? Does it take less, more, or the same throttle when you take the air filter off?
It takes less, but only slightly so... I have had the idle all over the place through all of this, with almost no change in how it starts... Or lack there of.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

ok so i finally replaced the compression tester that died in the flood a couple years back on my way home from work today. slapped that puppy on and low and behold it showed 125lbs compression. this is high, but i imagine that it is more in the quality of the 20$ tester that makes it this high. it feels no where near as high as my old o-ringed 50cc engine, so im not to worried about this.
which brings my attention back to the carb, can some one post a link to the thread that has the how to adjust the float for OKO? i have searched and searched and have come up with nothing. i was thinking about it in the shower this morning (besides the toilet, where all great thinking gets done), since the starter jet in this carb is non adjustable (only the idle and main can be adjusted) it would make sense that if the bowl level got to high that it could keep it from starting, right?
plug is wet so i know its getting fuel, will start with throttle so i know its getting spark, since it will start with the throttle cracked it would mean that the idle jet is close enough to fire, if you open up the throttle WOT it still continues to rev up so he main jet is in the ball park... just leaves the starter jet being the culprit... right?
or is the frustration of this blasted machine driving me crazy and im way over thinking things?
'62 125cc Honda cub
speedy25
Goped
Goped

Post by speedy25 »

I think you still have some issues with the idle circuit. All I can add is be really really sure that all the passages are clear. There may also be something wrong with the starter circuit too. Is the hole to the pickup well open in the bowl?

Anything that doesnt start easily with a few kicks or jab on the button still has SOMETHING wrong but finding the something isnt always easy.

Hope you job situation improves. Things arent much better in OH.

-SP
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Does the 19mm OKO have a choke?

If it does, does pulling it help?

Sounds like the idle jet passage is blocked.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

OK finally got a day off that i could dedicate 15 minutes to the scoot.
i lightly cleaned the carb with compressed air
adjusted the float level... some how was at like 25-28 mm rather than 19
and threw a 35 and 115 in the carb
started better and easier than before, still not right off with out a hand on the throttle though.
did start with less throttle with the choke pulled than with out it.
tried covering up some air filter to choke it further, no real difference.
unfortunately Mrs Turtle banned me from the garage this week... so no more time today to tinker. something about making the house smell like gas and exhaust...
i am thinking that i should up the idle to 40-45 and see what happens.
im thinking that the main jet is probably in the ball park though, right?
'62 125cc Honda cub
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I had a real hard-to-start issue with Flash II. It was a cracked intake reed. Check those if you have not yet done it. Just a tiny gap and it's a bee-yotch to fire up.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

im running brand new aero 80 dual stage boyeson reeds... so i bet they are good... but i never thought of them being the possible culprit. the only issue is that i dont have a non cracked reed block to test stock reeds in. or non cracked reeds from an 80...
'62 125cc Honda cub
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

With pressure-testing and all the other things you've done to assess this, there ain't much else that it could be. A very clogged exhaust? Fuel, compression and spark at the right time, should ignite. A magnetic flywheel that's twisted on the shaft could also make for hard starting - yet another problem I've had. If the spark is late - just a couple degrees, in fact - it may run but not start or run well.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

got a little time to do some work today. upon closer inspection noticed some black goo under exhaust port, so ive obviously got a leak, pulled the pipe off and doubled up the gaskets real quick. did better but still struggled to start. defianatly did better with the choke on, with 45/115 jet combo. could it be that my premix is heavy too. didn't think about it till now, but anytime its running it is pretty much a huge cloud of smoke. i thought it could be residual oil in the case, but i don't think so anymore. im running motul 710 which isn't supposed to smoke much anyways @ 32:1 IIRC.
'62 125cc Honda cub