K&N vs UNI Air Filter

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

NZHonda
Spree
Spree

K&N vs UNI Air Filter

Post by NZHonda »

Hi guys,

I am building my Honda Pal (Elite) up. So far BBK, Custom Exhaust, CT Intake, 21mm OKO Carb. This should yield some good results.

This brings me to my question. What is the most reliable aftermarket air filter to use. Partucularly for NZ conditions (read winter is coming). Will the K&N filter get clogged with water? What about the UNI? I already have the K&N on order but if the UNI is better then I can easily get my hands on one of those.

I guess I had better give you all a back ground on why I am building this bike. I am partaking in what is know as the Tranz Alpine Scooter Safari. It is a gruelling 10hour endurance ride from New Zealands South Island, East to West coast across the Southern Alps to raise money for our cancer society. It is run bi-annually and I did it in 2010 on the Pal.....but it was bloody slow. :coolcruise: Check out this website to see some crazy Kiwi's in action:

http://www.scootersafari.co.nz/

So I need the air filter to last that 250kmjourney in the middle of what could quite possably be a snowy rainy day.

I am looking at these 2:

Whats everyones thoughts?

Cheers,
Ayden
Attachments
163344961_full.jpg
163344961_full.jpg (34.57 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
$(KGrHqIOKo0E5kdoV3OUBOjgLPYehg~~_12.jpg
$(KGrHqIOKo0E5kdoV3OUBOjgLPYehg~~_12.jpg (10.95 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
Honda AF28 Dio ZX - Malossi 72cc
Honda DJ1R project
Breezy
Goped
Goped

Re: K&N vs UNI Air Filter

Post by Breezy »

Hey Ayden,

Personally, dry conditions the K&N, but if its wet I dont think the K&N would be up to the task.

In which case I would use 2 UNI filters with the mud sleeve. the second filter as a back up in case its starts to clog up and make it run rich or not at all, thats a whole lotta ks to make in a possibly wet time.

if its raining I think you might end up fighting a loosing battle

Although maybe the right kind of filter oil might help repel and roll off some water sprinkles, but I have had no such luck.

I bodge up this on my scoot,

This setup below sort of worked in damp conditions, but not really

The Uni filter one at the top was a little restrictive but would be much better than a factory air box

Or, you could use a radiator hose (or fuel resistant hose so it will not start to rot after a few 100 ks), run it into the under seat storage area with the K&N filter under the seat, and cut some venting holes, Just an Idea.......granted not really the greatest though....

That event looks fun, alas im at the wrong end of the country

Best of luck.
Chris
NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by NZHonda »

Good advice thankyou Chris. Great to see another Pal owner from NZ onboard. My concern is also with climbing altitude the bike might also richen up. I'm not sure we will be going high enough for it to do that as we are only reaching 825meters above sea level.

The other option I thought of for the rally is to take a couple of spare filters and change them when required. I am also going to purchase a Trail Tech TTO 14mm Temp Gauge. This will help me tp keep an eye on things on the long run. Day to Day when the bike has plenty of time to dry out etc the K&N should be fine.

Cheers Ayden.
Honda DJ1R project
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

Maybe something like the filter on this page? http://www.smallenginespecialties.com/Parts.php have not used one but looks like it might stay dry.
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by NZHonda »

Those look awesome. Even if it means a retune i will be investigating getting one of those shipped to NZ. Thanks a bunch.
Honda DJ1R project
Breezy
Goped
Goped

Post by Breezy »

some on Ebay, how well will it stay dry??? (I always get caught in the rain).

post up results if you get one, would love to know if they work

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-Cover ... 626wt_1201

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/45-Degree-35 ... 3cc39016bf

This is what I was looking at, angle the pod up to flush any stray fuel back into the carb (help it from clogging with fuel), and have the venting facing down to help keep it dry.

I would still take a spare though, water gets spat everywhere off the wheels when you ride.

With ebay in the country shipping drop down tab, if you dont see New Zealand, just shoot them an Email, Sometimes they will ship to NZ, its just not in there