'85 Spree Help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Drewby
Noob
Noob

'85 Spree Help

Post by Drewby »

I have recently pulled my Spree out of storage and got it running again. It runs great after its warmed up a little. It will start right up, but I have to baby the throttle for about a minute. Is that just the nature of the beast, or is there a way to fix it? Also, when i get going, the scooter will get up to about 15 mph, top out for about 3-5 seconds, then finally go up to the top speed. What could I do to get it to got straight up to top speed? I will try almost anything, just can't be too pricey.
patthesoundguy

Re: '85 Spree Help

Post by patthesoundguy »

Have you cleaned the carb? if it won't idle until it's warmed up you may have a clogged idle circuit. there is a little hole on the bowl of the carb that if its clogged it wont idle very well. Make sure that your air filter is clean oiled properly and not rotten and also check the airbox for leaks. Double check the air hose from airbox to the carb the hose can come loose from the carb and leak and make it run lean like crazy. After you have checked all of those things don't for get to check the spark plug gap, 0.025" is the proper gap I think. Then set the idle air screw properly. There is a procedure in the manual http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Spree_NQ50_84-87_1.pdf or it can be found by searching the forum. http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page
http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ture_Guide http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ts_-_Spree
After all of those things you may want to check the compression and also do a plug chop to see how the scooter is doing at wide open throttle. I would then check the belt for wear too.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Bossshelby
Spree
Spree

Post by Bossshelby »

Make sure you check the belt also.New they are .448 wide.
Have 4, 84-86 Sprees
Sprite-85 Honda spree
-87 elite 50 engine
-90 jet
-9 and 10 gram rollers
-Highly ported intake and exhaust
-custom performance muffler
3 original sprees. A red, black and white
Drewby
Noob
Noob

Post by Drewby »

The idle is fine. I need to get a new air filter, but I didn't think that would effect it that much. It only has 1540 miles, but I don't know how well it was maintained before that. I am currently putting seafoam in whenever I fill up. Oil is fine and i put a new spark plug in about 10 miles ago. Is there anything else i should check?
Rides:
1985 Spree
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

Actually the air filter is really important. These motors are very sensitive also an old filter can come apart and those pieces can be sucked into the intake and lodge in the reeds. Never hurts to replace a 20 year old filter :P
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Mystic wrote:Actually the air filter is really important. These motors are very sensitive also an old filter can come apart and those pieces can be sucked into the intake and lodge in the reeds. Never hurts to replace a 20 year old filter :P
For the sake of a few dollars I agree grab a filter!! My spree ran like crap untill I put a new filter in it. they were around $4 each so I bought 2 to have a spare.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Drewby
Noob
Noob

Post by Drewby »

Do you think my local Honda power sports store will have them? Or should i order them off eBay?
Rides:
1985 Spree
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

Drewby wrote:Do you think my local Honda power sports store will have them? Or should i order them off eBay?
yup local honda store can order them they are alot cheaper then ebay and its free shipping to the dealer
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
Drewby
Noob
Noob

Post by Drewby »

Thanks. I called and they ordered them today. Should be here in about a week.
Rides:
1985 Spree
nighthawk
Noob
Noob

Post by nighthawk »

hi guys -- newb here--- new to sprees n hondas in general. i've been doing all the searching n googleing but im getting no where.
i have an 87 NQ50 spree, recently got it back running.
problem is -it will die after running it. i can start it fine, take off, runs solid. after about 3-5 min, it boggs out, wants to die, as if starving for fuel. the float is full, it is pulling in fuel from tank (good vacuum). and their is fuel dumping out the little spout (facing inside /towards the wheel) -i understand there is a drain spout and a screw, it is not coming out of there. it is towards the top of the bowl. im assuming its an "overflow"?? but pretty much, after riding it hard for a few minutes, it will starve for power n want to die and also will bog bad. any info please help.

BTW, yes carb is clean, cleaned it twice (just didnt replace gaskets, i plan to rebuild it again once i figure out problem), good vacuum, fuel delivery ok. idle and mix screws to spec as per WIKI

thanks
nighthawk
Noob
Noob

Post by nighthawk »

here is a picture.

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ndVent.jpg

so.... is there suppose to be a hose on both of these?? and where do they go to?? when it boggs down, it seems to be dumping fuel out the over flow, wat does this mean? bad float (valve)??
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Your float setting is to high or or the needle the float controls is leaking. Either way you have a carb problem. There should be no fuel coming out any of the vents.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
nighthawk
Noob
Noob

Post by nighthawk »

Ok thanks. So wat do I need to fix it? New float n valve?
nighthawk
Noob
Noob

Post by nighthawk »

And if I plug up the overflow, will this take care of the problem? Is this why the motor is bogging down?
nighthawk
Noob
Noob

Post by nighthawk »

bump.