1985 Spree---Boggs Down

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bowman2
BMX
BMX

1985 Spree---Boggs Down

Post by bowman2 »

Hi All

I was recently given a 1985 Spree. I was not used for about 10 years and I am having a problem in that it starts up but when I give it the gas it boggs down and dies. It will start right up again. Below is what I have done but I need some more advise.

New battery, new gas tank with new petcock, new plug, new gas lines. I have removed the carb and cleaned it completely according to instructions on another forum. I do not have a good air filter so am using an old sock as also mentioned on the other site. It does not appear to be choking out. The air valve is set at 1 7/8 turns.

Still I cannot get the rpm's. Compression is 114 lbs.

Any suggestions? I need them

Thanks,

Reggie[/b]
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Get a real filter. Then post back. My bet's a dirty carb, still.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
niftyfifty
Goped
Goped

Post by niftyfifty »

same problem!

i lost alot of power one day, so i cleaned the carb marticulously, really good... anyways i start it up and it idles crap, warms up then when i drive it it bogs down and i reakon its the air filter, stupid thing iwh i never cleaned the carb now
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

it is the air filter or the auto bistarter
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

its always t eair filter..... man sprees are toucu with there intakes...
bowman2
BMX
BMX

1985 Spree---Boggs Down

Post by bowman2 »

Hi All:

Picked up a new filter but no dice. Still does the same. Idles great but boggs down when it gets tthe gas. I decided to clean the carb again and noticed there was no spring on the float valve. Is that a common thing with the Honda carbs? Most of the small engines I have done, lawn mowers, snowblowerw etc. have a spring along with the float. Anyone let me know. I could have dropped it or perhaps the person who gave this to me dropped it. Thus the freebee.

Reggie.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Nope there is no spring just the float valve. Does the float move freely up and down? When you tip the carb upside down does the float flop until it is about horizontal with the edge of the carb half? If it doesnt flop at all you may have the valve in upside down.
bowman2
BMX
BMX

1985 Spree---Boggs Down

Post by bowman2 »

Th3e float works fine and has no holes. The valve also looks fine with no rifges etc. However when it boggs down gos does come out of the vent telling me that the valve is not closing. When I tip it upside down the float goes quite a ways past horizontal but apparently not enough to close the valve. Can't bend it, it's plastic as you know. I am thinking of buying a rebuilt one but want to be sure that's all that is wrong with the scooter. It is in good condition and all electrical works fin, has good spark. Put a new filter in as well but that didn't help it from bogging down at throttle.

HELP
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

try adjusting youur throttle needle...
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Yeah you could try either moving the clip up or down on your throttle needle and see if that does anything. If your carb is clean, new airfilter, new petcock, float works, and electronic choke is working I just do not know what else it could be. Are you sure your electric choke is seated properly and the o ring is in good shape? No airleaks around the manifold?
The rubber hose from air filter to carb is attached securely? If yes to all then this one is a puzzle.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

maby it needs a new bystarter
bowman2
BMX
BMX

1985 Spree---Boggs Down

Post by bowman2 »

I don't detect any leaks around the manifold. Is there a certain way of checking that? Hose from air filter to carb is connected and tight. O rings although not new do look good and seat well. I am stumped?
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Where your carb attaches to the manifold you dont have gasket to gasket do you?In other words the rubber parts are not facing each other are they?
bowman2
BMX
BMX

1985 Spree---Boggs Down

Post by bowman2 »

No. The O rings are facing different directions or shall I say not touching each other.

I have rebuilt many small engines but this one has me perplexed. But then again none of the others were on scooters.

Thanks,
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

One thing that was not mentioned is a dirty or almost plugged muffler. Take off muffler and blow through the end that attaches to manifold with a leaf blower or compressed air. You should be able to feel air coming out of tip of muffler.