Pre-mixing gas/oil

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

spree13
Noob
Noob

Pre-mixing gas/oil

Post by spree13 »

On my '84 Spree the previous owner ditched the oil injection and premixes the gas at 32:1. I have continued this with no problems so far. Are there any long term problems with this? I don't mind the pre-mixing, it's no big deal. I just picked up an '85 that needs some TLC and I was considering doing the same to it for simplicitys sake. Good idea or bad?
Sprees all gone...
2013 Black Honda F6B for me
2013 Red Honda F6B for the wife
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

On the '85: If the oiler is working leave it alone. D/L the service manual for instructions on checking it. You should clean the oil tank out if it's been stored awhile. Do not use premix oil in the oil tank, use injector oil (premix is too thick.)

On the '84. The oiler may be shot by now, if it wasn't already. They're available used, but might not be worth the hassle if the rest is kludged anyway.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

I think the only reason the guy even make the moped a pre-mix was because he was worried that the oil pump would fail someday and lock the engine up. a lot like they would do on jet-skis. I have never heard of one of theos pumps failing on a spree tho.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

About the only 'problem' that I've come across concerning the oil pumps are the O rings failing and resulting in a leak. The hoses too, of course, but generally they are a very dependable device.
Honda engineered this bike to be economical, dependable and fun. I don't think they missed the mark on anything.
Why go the hassle of pre-mixing when the machine will take care of itself for the most part? Do the maintenance on schedule and they're going to last seemingly forever.
Scoot safely
spree13
Noob
Noob

spree pre-mix

Post by spree13 »

I just finished pulling the Spree apart, {wish me luck} and here is what I found. The oil hoses were in horrible shape, the oil tank was ok, and the oil pump was loose as a goose, leaking everywhere. It still seemed to be functioning although. The previous owner also had gas/oil of unknown % in the gas tank {I drained it} and this Spree smoked worse than my 84. No wonder, doubled up on the oil!. I'm going to disable the oiling system and run pre-mix {32:1} as that is the way my 84 is set up and I don't have a problem with that. This 2nd Spree is for the wife and all we do is putz around on them or take them to races where there is never any danger of running out of premix.
Sprees all gone...
2013 Black Honda F6B for me
2013 Red Honda F6B for the wife
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

Thats pretty cool that they work well like that, it would be a cool thing to try. Although I do enjoy cruising down to the local gas station and fueling up while the attendants are absolutely amazed that my gas is only 50 cents. Quite a conversation piece. They do a similar thing to Jet Ski engines. They tie off the oil and just simply add an oil mixture to the gas. Apparantly there have been issues of these Skis having clogs in the oil injector and blowing up (not like mushroom cloud blow up, but lock up). I guess it is definately better for and engine to have not enough gas then not enough oil. lol
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

I know that I mix my gas with 2 cycle oil because i don't trust the pump. Better safe than sorry is what I always say when people give me s*** for mixing the gas and oil even though there is an oil pump.
I try to fix things with a hammer and wrench!
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

Almost leads me to considering switching over my setup.
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

I wouldn't risk relying on the pump forever, especially since I don't have a job to pay for it, and I'm a Sophomore in high school, so I don't really have time to fix it either.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

hey me too. lol
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

Your kidding, I am a sophomore in my high school also. Cool.
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

Holy s***! why do all the kids have the Sprees? I guess old people just don't appreciate them. lol.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

we should start a bad * biker club. if u can call us bikers.
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

I'm not sure about bikers, but we could be called "Beaters" lol. We could carrey water pistols. Better yet, painball guns or sling shots. lol.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

lol. no i think water guns was the funniest.