'86 Elite idle problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

scootermom
Noob
Noob

'86 Elite idle problems

Post by scootermom »

My '86 Elite will not idle properly. Races when first started then eventually quits. Thought it was the bystarter valve. Replaced that. No better. When I remove the bystarter and put my thumb in the hole it idles fine. Next step? --SM
DeathByFox
Spree
Spree

Re: '86 Elite idle problems

Post by DeathByFox »

It sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Be very careful because thats hows pistons are melted. And if that isnt it your idle screw could be really high.
Bright lights put me in a dance But it aint house music makes me wanna dance
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: '86 Elite idle problems

Post by breaze »

Hm-m-m, once the bystarter is warmed up, it should essentially do the same thing you are doing with your thumb - close off the hole. If it idles fine when you close it with your thumb, that would indicate to me that the bystarter is not doing its job.

If it were me (and I am no expert), I would find a way to close off that hole and then see how the scooter runs. Get it warmed up as best you can, close off the hole, and see if it idles and runs fine - this is how it should be running if the bystarter is closing off after warming up. If it runs and idles well, then you know the bystarter is not closing off - could be installed incorrectly or maybe is missing the rubber o-ring. I believe I've read where members place a coin down in the hole to seal it off.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the new bystarter? Seems like there are a lot of knock-off brands out there that don't perform well...
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90