Newbie with first question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bigbaer
BMX
BMX

Newbie with first question

Post by bigbaer »

Hello all-
I've been looking through this forum for the last few days. My wife inherited an '86 Spree that was her grandpa's. I've cleaned things up, new air filter, gas, oil, cleaned up the carb, new battery, etc. I went to start it up this afternoon for the first time and it fired right up...only there is gas pouring out of a nipple on the back side of the carb! Not the one to drain the bowl, but one up an inch or so higher and toward the back of the scoot. Should this be connected to something? Is there an internal problem with the carb? Where do I start? Thanks for all the help!
'86 Spree, handed down from grandfather-in-law
-aL-
Elite
Elite

Post by -aL- »

take the gas line off of the carb, if gas pours out of it... i mean the whole gas tank pours out of it, than its the petcock. The petcock is the think that comes off of the gas tank, with the two lines coming off of it. If you take the line off of the carb and all the gas comes out, its the petcock, it is stuck open. If only a little bit dribbles out of the line and then stops, its something else.
Ridin' Dirty on one of my 1989 Honda Elite E's
bigbaer
BMX
BMX

Post by bigbaer »

I took off the gas line and vacuum line, and only the fuel in the line poured out. When I applied vacuum to the other line, it poured out of the tank, and stopped when vacuum was released.

I found another post that was similar to my problem, and took the carb off to check the bowl gasket. I cleaned everything again, and noted that the rubber gasket is old and brittle. Would replacing that help? Could that be the problem?
nwj67
Goped
Goped

Post by nwj67 »

For what my 2 cents is worth, when you find something old and brittle, it is NEVER a bad judgement to replace it if you have the option to do so.
1985 Honda Elite CH80 2450 miles.
-aL-
Elite
Elite

Post by -aL- »

yeah, that could be the problem, try that, it would be a cheap fix.
bigbaer
BMX
BMX

Post by bigbaer »

Any idea what causes the overflow to this port? Maybe I'm missing something here...
-aL-
Elite
Elite

Post by -aL- »

probably that gasket
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

i have some.... if whated. pm me.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Sounds like it's dumping gas from the overflow, which means your float pin is erroded. In other word, the float isn't shutting off gas flow like it should be. If the seal gasket is shot the float's pin probably is too.

This failure is a bit unusual. If I were you, I'd verify the condition of all rubber o-rings as well (2 at carb to manifold, 1 at bystarter) for cracking. Replace them if they show wear now.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products