Missing fuel valve

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

spree13
Noob
Noob

Missing fuel valve

Post by spree13 »

I just pulled my "new" '85 Spree apart and the previous owner has tossed the stock vacuum fuel valve and put in a cheesy looking petcock. Is this future trouble? I would like to keep it close to stock. Should I bother tracking a factory valve down and installing it? I've got a lead on some parts Sprees locally that I'm going to check out Monday, maybe a good valve there. What's everyones thoughts on this?
Sprees all gone...
2013 Black Honda F6B for me
2013 Red Honda F6B for the wife
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The stock valves like to stick. Go to tech docs for the fix (soak in gas.) If the scooter is a kludge job, you may want to concentrate on more pressing issues, and leave this for last. I'd make sure you're running an inline filter with it, the guy may have removed the tank filter.
spree13
Noob
Noob

Spree redo!

Post by spree13 »

Noiseguy, you're right, there are more pressing things on this Spree. After a fairly deep teardown I have found, no air filter element, holes drilled on the top and a non stock ill fitting carb to airbox connector. No wonder this thing idled real fast! The starter is toast, stinks like it's burned up, no battery, no clamps on the fuel lines, a drive belt with chunks missing. The fellow I bought it from is a machinist and to start it he made up a T key to put in a 1/2 drill and a matching nut on the end of the crank. The bendix was removed and a hole drilled in the belt cover to access crank nut. Believe it or not this worked. Not real practical but functional! :lol: He did give me the OE crank nut and bendix so I'll get a starter and battery and return it to stock. I'm sure I'll have carb issues after putting the stock filter system back!
Sprees all gone...
2013 Black Honda F6B for me
2013 Red Honda F6B for the wife
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Ack. 8O Fix the aircleaner first. Email drichardson@core.com with a list of parts you need. Tell him we sent you.