Help with 84 spree starting

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

RideRed
Noob
Noob

Help with 84 spree starting

Post by RideRed »

I just recently had to buy a new cylinder (thanks greg), rings, gaskets etc. Well I put the new rings on and somehow snapped the lower new ring. So as a last resort I ended up throwing my old lower ring back on. The old cylinder and rings were really clean, but the exhaust had broken off at the cylinder so I had to buy new.

Anyways the scooter ran awesome before (4700 miles) and due to the exhaust i had to change the cylinder and thought i would do rings as well. Well the problem is, now it will crank and crank, with no signs of even wanting to start. I have sprayed starting fluid in the cylinder and it doesnt even act like its there. Im getting spark, gas, and seems like plenty of compression (cant test until tomorrow)

I pull the plug and it is soaked with gas and oil. Believe it or not the scooter did not have an air screw before, but i bought one as well and have it set at 1.5 turns.

Anything else i can try before pulling the cylinder back off to see if a ring or something is stuck? This thing ran 3 weeks ago before i swapped cylinders and an air screw and a plug, what else could have changed?!

Sorry for the long post and thanks alot for the help. Im dyin to get this thing going
jbarb
Spree
Spree

Post by jbarb »

Are you getting spark? When my old motor had 50 lbs of compression I couldnt get it to fire with the starting fluid in cylinder either.
RideRed
Noob
Noob

Post by RideRed »

I am getting spark, at least outside of the cylinder. It may be too wet inside
-aL-
Elite
Elite

Post by -aL- »

still sounds like the carb needs more adjustment
Ridin' Dirty on one of my 1989 Honda Elite E's
RideRed
Noob
Noob

Post by RideRed »

I did a compression test and was sitting just under 60 lbs, so I pulled the cylinder back off, and my top ring (the new one) is stuck solid. Hopefully i can get it out and up and goin today
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

My guess is that it was low compression. Make sure to install the intake tract and filter box, sometimes this missing will keep it from running.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
RideRed
Noob
Noob

Post by RideRed »

Thanks for all the help, i cleaned the groove up real well and put a new ring in, started right up. Im excited to get this beast on the road! Its been 3 years since my last one :lol: