starting/running problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

86 spreedy gonzalas
Noob
Noob

starting/running problems

Post by 86 spreedy gonzalas »

OK...Just got an 86 Iowa spree....got it for nothing...great deal already...one problem, i know i need to get a new battery, so that may be part of it but perhaps not...when i kick start the bike, it turns over and runs for 5-10 seconds, then quits....it hasnt run for six years, or so. i put new gas and oil in...have to get a spark plug...does anyone have any ideas though why it wont stay running?
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

Well try a new plug and see what happens, Also if the bike has been sittin a while, rebuliding the carb wont hurt. Check your carb adjustments. I ran my spree without the battery and it did fine. Battery is for electric start and thats about it. Remember that any bike that sits a while needs all new fluids (oil ad gas) and an air filter. Good luck
86 spreedy gonzalas
Noob
Noob

put new fluids in, new plug, cleaned the carburator, cleaned the air filter, still had the same problem....
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

i cant help but think that carb isnt cleaned good enough. Is the strainer in the tank clean? Are the fuel screws adjusted right? the screws should both be at 1.5 turns out after they had been turned all the way in and adjusted accordingly once it runs
86 spreedy gonzalas
Noob
Noob

well i cleaned the carb again, really well this time, and sure enough, got the 'ol girl running....the only problem is now that when i have it idle, and the break off, the rear wheel is spinning, as if the throttle were open....is this maybe because the idle stop is just a bit off? probably huh? thanks for all the help.
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

ok, now you need to adjust the idle screw down jus enough that the rear wheel barely spins and it should do the trick
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

or adjust it to the point that it doesnt spin at all like my peds do.
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

yeah thats what i meant sorry
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***