very wierd problem

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

J-Pi
Noob
Noob

very wierd problem

Post by J-Pi »

I was out for a ride last night and my tank was way down. I took a sweeping turn at full throttle, just after that the engine cut out. I thought I was just out of gas, so I walked it to the nearest station and filled it with regular (usually use premium). after that it would start and idle fine, but as soon as I give it gas it just stalls. I've reset the mixture screw, and replaced the plug. When I screw the mixture in clockwise 1-turn from factory spec, it will rev up a-lot before stalling. What should I try next?
scoot2er
BMX
BMX

Post by scoot2er »

maybe you have a fuel line problem. deposits in the lines could result in not enough gas getting through i suppose. Check them, and your petcock ( I think that's what the thing gas comes down from the tank into the lines is called).
What it is?
bigbaer
BMX
BMX

Post by bigbaer »

Was your tank actually empty when you stopped to fill it up? I had a similar problem with my moped last summer and cleaning the crud out of the carb fixed it pretty quick. When I ran the tank empty stuff apparently came loose that hadn't been before and made it's way to the carb, plugging it up a bit.
'86 Spree, handed down from grandfather-in-law
J-Pi
Noob
Noob

Post by J-Pi »

the tank was still a little wet. I'm guessing that the main jet is plugged. I dropped it off at my local scoot shop to get the carb rebuilt because I am far too lazy for that
scoot2er
BMX
BMX

Post by scoot2er »

Shops are notorious for not delivering on your intent. If you ever get the energy I suggest just taking the carb apart yourself and cleaning it with guitar strings and carb cleaner. You should look into cleaning the whole fuel system as well. That is, if your problem is not solved by the shop. It is a simple carb ( assuming you're talking about a spree), and relatively easy to rebuild.
What it is?
J-Pi
Noob
Noob

Post by J-Pi »

Yeah, i've just got other things to deal with. If it was a motorcycle and scoot shop I would have done it myself, but because this is a scooter exclusive shop, that I know from experience does a-level work, I'm not too worried.
scoot2er
BMX
BMX

Post by scoot2er »

I wish those existed in Sac CA. only thing close is a vespa dealer 15 miles away.
What it is?
drl33t
BMX
BMX

Post by drl33t »

i was having the same problem, it sounds like. have u tried playing with the air box and airfilter... the air flow might need to be retarted more than it is... i used duct tape and a washer and now mine works fine...