1984 Spree Won't Start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

keahi
Noob
Noob

1984 Spree Won't Start

Post by keahi »

Hey guys, I've been looking around this site for a while for advice on my Spree. Unfortunately I have not been able to get it running after about 5 days of trial and error.

Picked it up in non-running condition. Had been in a minor accident but as far as I could see most of the damage was to the forks, which I fixed. The accident occurred November of last year and has been sitting since then, so the battery is dead.

So far I have done the following:
New gas
New spark plug
Checked for compression with finger over combustion chamber
Made sure there is spark - there is
Cleaned carburetor but it was already clean
Checked air filter
Replaced fuel lines
Checked petcock and filter for obstructions
Sprayed starter fluid in carburetor

There is no sign what so ever that it wants to start. It turns over fine though. I am holding the brake in when I try to start too. Also when I try to start it, I find that the spark plug is wet with gas or oil when I pull it out. It's not a lot and even with it being wet it still sparks.

Starting fluid did absolutely nothing.

I have been scouring the internet for answers but it seems like every other post I see is slightly different from my problem.

I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to working on bikes. I have two motorcycles that I work on but have only gotten serious about it in the past few months.

If anyone has any ideas, please reply. This is a great site and I'd like to eventually get out of the technical help section and into performance modifications.

Mahalo!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 1984 Spree Won't Start

Post by Bear45-70 »

So you still have no idea what your compression is. 35 PSI will easily blow your finger off the plug hole but the motor will never run with 35 PSI. Check your compression, so you really know if you have enough then report back.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Tenacious T
Noob
Noob

Post by Tenacious T »

keahi - Read the thread Spree85 timing issue . Superbee and I had the same issues did every thing in the book with no luck ! He installed a new CDI and that fixed his problem . I just recieved mine in the mail and can not work on it till next week . If that fixes mine also then we'll need to wright a new chapter in the repair Wiki. . I'll also let every one know what and where the parts came from . T
keahi
Noob
Noob

Post by keahi »

Ok so I picked up a compression tester and tested it, which came out to around 70 PSI. According to the manual, the minimum is 114. So I think this is my problem.

Thanks for the help guys. I think the next steps are going to be beyond my skill level. Is this something I remedying this something I should attempt on my own or leave to a professional?