Back tire seized! What could it be?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Back tire seized! What could it be?

Post by SpreeWilly »

I have a stock 1984 Honda Spree with 3,300 miles. I noticed it was running a little warmer than I thought usual, but it was not making any odd sounds and was keeping up well with traffic (27-30 mph).

About 20 minutes ago I turned a corner, heard a very slight squeal/pop (hardly loud enough to hear--I just heard it because I'm an experienced driver and always drive with my ears), and the back tire seized up solid. I can't remember now if the engine stopped on its own or if I shut it off (I think I shut it off). I originally thought the engine seized up on me, but I just went outside and it started it. The engine will currently start and idle satisfactorily (not great, but not bad either), just the back tire is completely seized.

So, experienced Spree mechanics, what are the possibilities? Break line? Belt? Where do I begin?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Landon
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Back tire seized! What could it be?

Post by Trafficjamz »

axle bearing is frozen.

or the gears are broken.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I've seen two examples of the little brake cam - the oval fitting that's twisted by the lever to which the brake cable attaches - becoming so stiff that it won't release brake pressure. Very worn brakes can cause it to jam in "full-brake" position. This can also an issue with the brake shoes deteriorating and getting jammed against the drum.
Quoth Willy:
Where do I begin?
Disassembly.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

Thanks for the ideas! I started the disassembly today and found that the brakes are functioning correctly, but that the rear axle itself won't rotate. So it looks as if the axle bearings are frozen or the gears are broken. I'm guessing it's a a gear issue.

My new question: How do I check the bearings or gears? I mean clearly I'm gonna have to take the engine off and open it up, but I'm still learning how to work on these things. I need advice and perhaps some thorough instructions.

Thanks!
Landon

1984 Honda Spree that was brutally kidnapped & relentlessly rescued from the West Side of Buffalo.
1985 Honda Spree that keeps his '84 close at night.

I'm prepared to fight for my Spreedom.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

your manual will tell you how to take everything apart and inspect it step by step
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

As it turns out, the bolt that keeps the entire gear system snug from the outside unscrewed itself under the belt cover. Took it all apart, inspected everything, reassembled, relubed, tightened up, and she's back on the road! Only now I have a new problem...it seems my drive belt is slipping at low speeds. Is there a way to tighten it? Or do I just have to replace it?

Thanks!
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

SpreeWilly wrote:As it turns out, the bolt that keeps the entire gear system snug from the outside unscrewed itself under the belt cover. Took it all apart, inspected everything, reassembled, relubed, tightened up, and she's back on the road! Only now I have a new problem...it seems my drive belt is slipping at low speeds. Is there a way to tighten it? Or do I just have to replace it?

Thanks!
only a few reasons the belt would slip one is its too worn which is unlikely unless you have 7000 plus miles on it.. Another reason could be you greased or oiled up the pulley or cluch whitch you shouldnt do this is a dry drive set up.
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

Thanks! When I reassembled it I noticed the belt had some small cracks here and there. Time for a new one! Plus I might have oiled something that shouldn't have been. I'm gonna get a new belt and swap it out and dry off clutch area all in one operation. I've been looking at the Honda stock belts that are going for around $40-$50 on ebay. I've also been reading about other Spree enthusiasts who've had luck with auto belts purchased for $10 from Auto Zone. I'm a broke college kid. Do I go safe and buy stock or take a risk and buy from Auto Zone? Any advice?
Landon

1984 Honda Spree that was brutally kidnapped & relentlessly rescued from the West Side of Buffalo.

abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

SpreeWilly wrote:Thanks! When I reassembled it I noticed the belt had some small cracks here and there. Time for a new one! Plus I might have oiled something that shouldn't have been. I'm gonna get a new belt and swap it out and dry off clutch area all in one operation. I've been looking at the Honda stock belts that are going for around $40-$50 on ebay. I've also been reading about other Spree enthusiasts who've had luck with auto belts purchased for $10 from Auto Zone. I'm a broke college kid. Do I go safe and buy stock or take a risk and buy from Auto Zone? Any advice?

you can get the oem belt from honda for around 20$ get it ordered to your local dealer and you get free shipping the part number is 23100-GK8-870 never buy oem on ebay unless the part is discontinued or something all they do is buy it from honda and then jack up the price...
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

@abreen89:

Thanks so much for the advice! I hadn't realized it was cheaper through the dealer (it's usually more expensive). I took the transmission back apart and dried off a couple parts around the clutch. Also cleaned the flywheel thing that the clutch grabs on to (sorry I don't know the terminology well). I also tightened a couple bolts. Took it for a test drive a few minutes ago and it drives well! My slipping has subsided and I have more power at low speeds again. When I decide to replace the belt, I'll definitely go through Honda! Thanks again!

Landon
Landon

thekingof7
Goped
Goped

Post by thekingof7 »

A bit after the fact but I just grabbed one of these guys for around 13 bucks and its been holding up well over this past week. College student here too and I realize that 7 bucks can mean eating sandwiches for the next 2 days :)

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... yword=7240
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

Haha! Perfect! =D
Landon

Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

I also went with a gates xl 7240 belt. I am currently at 480 miles on that belt and it still drives. However, I have noticed an increase in slipping lately. At first I was zooming arount at 32 mph but now it struggles to hit 26 so that should give you an idea of the rate of degrading. Honestly, it's perfect in a pinch but I would recommend OEM if you can afford it. I do, however, have a massive hill in my city that I ride up several times a day and I'm sure it does a number on the gates belt.

I really think the problem is the fact that the gates xl 7240 is only 0.41 inches wide when new which is the service limit for the stock belt. It will likely begin to slip too much to use soon. I found this posting just because I was investigating the cheapest place to order an OEM belt.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
thekingof7
Goped
Goped

Post by thekingof7 »

Pancake Sauce wrote:I also went with a gates xl 7240 belt. I am currently at 480 miles on that belt and it still drives. However, I have noticed an increase in slipping lately. At first I was zooming arount at 32 mph but now it struggles to hit 26 so that should give you an idea of the rate of degrading. Honestly, it's perfect in a pinch but I would recommend OEM if you can afford it. I do, however, have a massive hill in my city that I ride up several times a day and I'm sure it does a number on the gates belt.

I really think the problem is the fact that the gates xl 7240 is only 0.41 inches wide when new which is the service limit for the stock belt. It will likely begin to slip too much to use soon. I found this posting just because I was investigating the cheapest place to order an OEM belt.
Bit of a follow up :
Yes I have noticed the same issue recently with my gates 7240. At first I noticed an increase in general speed, probably due to my old stock belt being very close to trashed. But after a good 200+ miles, I have had large amounts of slippage and a general decrease in zip. I would almost recommend people stay away from these belts unless absolutely necessarily. I will be switching to OEM come next paycheck.
-Cheers
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

thekingof7 wrote:
Pancake Sauce wrote:I also went with a gates xl 7240 belt. I am currently at 480 miles on that belt and it still drives. However, I have noticed an increase in slipping lately. At first I was zooming arount at 32 mph but now it struggles to hit 26 so that should give you an idea of the rate of degrading. Honestly, it's perfect in a pinch but I would recommend OEM if you can afford it. I do, however, have a massive hill in my city that I ride up several times a day and I'm sure it does a number on the gates belt.

Bit of a follow up :
Yes I have noticed the same issue recently with my gates 7240. At first I noticed an increase in general speed, probably due to my old stock belt being very close to trashed. But after a good 200+ miles, I have had large amounts of slippage and a general decrease in zip. I would almost recommend people stay away from these belts unless absolutely necessarily. I will be switching to OEM come next paycheck.
-Cheers
Just ordered 2 oem belts and a new rear tire as my current one is balding and 20 years old. My local dealer gave me a discount on shipping for getting 2. $25 each after ship is cheaper than any online price i could find. I dont think my town has any honda motorcycle dealer so i did the next best thing. I will update here with info when i get the oem belt on it. Should be between fri-wed. Anybody know the expected miles from an oem belt before servicing it?
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80