How to replace clutch...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

How to replace clutch...

Post by SpreeWilly »

I recently disassembled my '84 Spree's transmission and noticed the pads on my clutch that grab onto the outer wheel are starting to wear down; I think I should start thinking about replacing them. I'm new to rebuilding scooters and don't know what they're called, let alone where or how to buy the correct parts. Do I have to replace the entire clutch or just those pad things? Where can I get them? Any advice is appreciated!

Landon
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Re: How to replace clutch...

Post by abreen89 »

SpreeWilly wrote:I recently disassembled my '84 Spree's transmission and noticed the pads on my clutch that grab onto the outer wheel are starting to wear down; I think I should start thinking about replacing them. I'm new to rebuilding scooters and don't know what they're called, let alone where or how to buy the correct parts. Do I have to replace the entire clutch or just those pad things? Where can I get them? Any advice is appreciated!

Landon
starting to wear down??? they start to wear down the first time its driven down the road.. Get you manual from this site and check if they are withing spec.. is it causing problems with your scooter here is the part number for the replacement: 22535-GK8-325
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

I'm not sure if it is or isn't causing issues since I bought it a couple weeks ago and don't have a good reference of what the "normal" drive is like. I suspect it is; they were extremely worn down. Thanks for the part number.
Landon

1984 Honda Spree that was brutally kidnapped & relentlessly rescued from the West Side of Buffalo.
1985 Honda Spree that keeps his '84 close at night.

I'm prepared to fight for my Spreedom.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

SpreeWilly wrote:I'm not sure if it is or isn't causing issues since I bought it a couple weeks ago and don't have a good reference of what the "normal" drive is like. I suspect it is; they were extremely worn down. Thanks for the part number.
np how many miles are on it?
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

Right this minute there's about 3372 miles.
Is the part number you gave me for the shoes? I haven't looked for them yet...
Landon

1984 Honda Spree that was brutally kidnapped & relentlessly rescued from the West Side of Buffalo.

abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

How to replace clutch...

Post by abreen89 »

Yes and I have a clutch with over 7k miles on it post pics of the shoes
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

If they still have meat and your clutch then just take some 220 and sand a little on each pad. Make sure you do a even amount of strokes. If not then read up on the tech docs. Seriously they have been up for years and noobs dont bother to read them before they make posts like these!
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

I downloaded the service manual weeks ago, which I always check before I post. I also always search wiki before I post. However, I learn much quicker if I just post a question and get a more personable answer.

I'd also like to remind everyone that these forums are not just for experienced Spree mechanics who want to buy every upgrade known to man so their machines will qualify for the Brickyard. These forums are just as much meant for and appreciated by the inexperienced Spree enthusiasts like me who want to keep everything stock to just get the grocery store and back.

There's bound to be some duplicate posts, it's not a terribly big deal. And I'm sorry my "noob" cry for help bores you; if you're that annoyed, go read a different post.

That is all.
Landon

thekingof7
Goped
Goped

Post by thekingof7 »

SpreeWilly wrote:I downloaded the service manual weeks ago, which I always check before I post. I also always search wiki before I post. However, I learn much quicker if I just post a question and get a more personable answer.

I'd also like to remind everyone that these forums are not just for experienced Spree mechanics who want to buy every upgrade known to man so their machines will qualify for the Brickyard. These forums are just as much meant for and appreciated by the inexperienced Spree enthusiasts like me who want to keep everything stock to just get the grocery store and back.

There's bound to be some duplicate posts, it's not a terribly big deal. And I'm sorry my "noob" cry for help bores you; if you're that annoyed, go read a different post.

That is all.
+1 and hear hear. Almost every member here had to start somewhere, and almost every member here has been courteous and helpful. But I have noticed in the last 3 threads that I have just read and have posted in there is at least one member acting like "noob" questions are beneath them. As spreewilly said, if it said post is beneath you, then close the tab and be off on your way. No one here is making anyone read or post back, this is a free resource on the end of the student and the teacher.
thekingof7
Goped
Goped

Post by thekingof7 »

btw, a decent set of calipers will answer all your questions in reagrds to shoe tolerances.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Stock honda clutch pads last long, if you hear chatter on take off then the pads or the springs are worn, untill then just ride on.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!