Carb Adjustment Help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Carb Adjustment Help

Post by SpreeWilly »

These have to be the worst instructions I've ever read in my life:
http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ts_-_Spree

Someone please dumb-it-up so I can understand what I'm supposed to do with these screws. Also, I have no way of technically measuring RPMs, as I'm working out of my driveway, not out of a garage full of fancy tools and gadgets.

I do, however, have ears & common sense on my side.
Please help.

Thanks!

Landon
Landon

1984 Honda Spree that was brutally kidnapped & relentlessly rescued from the West Side of Buffalo.
1985 Honda Spree that keeps his '84 close at night.

I'm prepared to fight for my Spreedom.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Carb Adjustment Help

Post by Bear45-70 »

Me thinks the OP is not very mechanically inclined because those instructions are not only accurate but very plain to anyone who has ever tinkered with a carb.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

Ok, jokes up.
I've never had to tinker with a carb.
I'm also 20 years old and live in the city, where I've taken mass transit everywhere my entire life.
So yes, I have a bit of the inner-city-kid-mechanically-inexperienced disease which is slowly going away, one Spree fix at a time.

This is how I would go about doing this, please read and correct so I don't blow anything up:

1. Set the Spree on it's kick stand (back wheel up off the ground).
2. Screw in the mixture (air) screw all the way, then unscrew it 1 and 7/8th turns.
3. Kick start (she fires up!)

(then it says "Reset the idle speed with the throttle stop screw." How do I simply "reset the idle speed? I'm gonna take my best guess...)

4. I adjust the throttle stop screw ("idle speed screw") so that the bike is idling sufficiently (not a fast idle, and the back tire--off the ground, mind you--is not moving.
5. I then adjust the air screw (AGAIN) until the back tire is very slowly propelling forward (this would be the "highest idling speed because when the bike is on the ground, the bike's weight would still keep it in place).

(The next instruction says "Reset the idle speed with the throttle stop screw. Idle spec is 1800 rpm." --I still don't know exactly how to simply "reset the idle speed" but I'll again take my best guess, and again, I don't have any way of formally measuring the RPMs...)

6. I then go back to the throttle stop screw ("idle speed screw") and adjust the screw so that the engine is idling sufficiently (not too low or high) and so that the back tire (still off the ground) stops propelling slowly forward and doesn't rotate at idle speed.

Ta da!
Is this the correct way of adjusting the carburetor?
Short of this, I need better instruction.

Thanks.
Landon
Landon

1984 Honda Spree that was brutally kidnapped & relentlessly rescued from the West Side of Buffalo.

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

You could try the Honda Spree Service manual. There is little difference between wiki text and shop manual :D

--
Setting the idle speed and air screws to approximate starting point make it easier, hence the initial RPM and xx turns setpoint.
Adjusting the mixture will change idle speed. That is why the steps to twiddle between the screws.

Idle should be slow enough to let the clutch dis-engage.
With no tach, you can put your scooter on the stand and adjust idle so rear tire does not spin.

--
Edit: add - I see you posted just before this response got in...
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

SpreeWilly wrote:Ok, jokes up.
I've never had to tinker with a carb.
I'm also 20 years old and live in the city, where I've taken mass transit everywhere my entire life.
So yes, I have a bit of the inner-city-kid-mechanically-inexperienced disease which is slowly going away, one Spree fix at a time.

This is how I would go about doing this, please read and correct so I don't blow anything up:

1. Set the Spree on it's kick stand (back wheel up off the ground).
2. Screw in the mixture (air) screw all the way, then unscrew it 1 and 7/8th turns.
3. Kick start (she fires up!)

(then it says "Reset the idle speed with the throttle stop screw." How do I simply "reset the idle speed? I'm gonna take my best guess...)

4. I adjust the throttle stop screw ("idle speed screw") so that the bike is idling sufficiently (not a fast idle, and the back tire--off the ground, mind you--is not moving.
5. I then adjust the air screw (AGAIN) until the back tire is very slowly propelling forward (this would be the "highest idling speed because when the bike is on the ground, the bike's weight would still keep it in place).

(The next instruction says "Reset the idle speed with the throttle stop screw. Idle spec is 1800 rpm." --I still don't know exactly how to simply "reset the idle speed" but I'll again take my best guess, and again, I don't have any way of formally measuring the RPMs...)

6. I then go back to the throttle stop screw ("idle speed screw") and adjust the screw so that the engine is idling sufficiently (not too low or high) and so that the back tire (still off the ground) stops propelling slowly forward and doesn't rotate at idle speed.

Ta da!
Is this the correct way of adjusting the carburetor?
Short of this, I need better instruction.

Thanks.
Landon
pretty close 1 7/8 turns out is just a starting point though make sure you acheive highest idle without the backtire moving which it sounds like you understand... As for the wiki instructions i too had trouble at first with it the prior knowledge needed too understand it is the names of the screws (no labeled better) and the whole reset idle. Once you figure those out it makes perfect sense something that took me a while to figure out but now i can tune the stock setups no problem..
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

A Followup:

I did exactly as I wrote above, and my Spree is running well! Thanks to all those who replied! :)
Landon

kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

Sweet! One word of advice, read and use the search feature it helps alot. Ive used it countless times. Sometimea you just need to slow down and read
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii