86 spree. chinese bystarter vs. 85-86 bystarter conversion

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

86 spree. chinese bystarter vs. 85-86 bystarter conversion

Post by Pancake Sauce »

I ordered a chinese bystarter for my '86 spree last week as the wires were missing from my stock one. I have no idea how long it will take to arrive. However, I also got a '85 spree on craigslist a few days ago which has a bystarter on it with wires. The carb on the 85 spree has a crushed bystarter recess from somebody probably using the long screw on the outside of the intake/carb connection. The bystarter, however, looks to be in decent condition.

My question is: Should I...

a. Wait for the chinese one to arrive and use it?

b. Wait for the chinese one to arrive and just use the 2-prong connector from it to splice the 85 bystarter, converting it into an 86 bystarter connection?

c. Get that '85 bystarter converted ASAP? It is as good or better than the chinese bystarter and the '86 spree will love me for ending its suffering!

The reason I am asking is I'm not sure if a used original 85 bystarter is more likely to be better than a new chinese aftermarket version. My spree runs pretty well as is and I have been driving it around with around 60-70 mpg. It starts easy but I think it will run better overall with a functional bystarter in it.

BY THE WAY. I got that '85 spree running yesterday. :geekdance: Too bad it would cost a fortune to make it road worthy. Needs new tires/tubes, mirrors, airbox that seals, belt and/or clutch rebuild, front/rear break cables and rear break handle, throttle cable, top end of carb (some1 crushed bystarter hole), and who knows what else. At least I can swap a bunch of parts with my '86 spree to make my working one better.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 86 spree. chinese bystarter vs. 85-86 bystarter conversi

Post by mousewheels »

I'd give the Spree bystarter a try, but pick what suit you.
The Spree bystarter is presently avialiable, and will give you comparison info if you later swap in the clone part.