left hand brake does not engage stop light or starter button

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SevenKeys
Noob
Noob

left hand brake does not engage stop light or starter button

Post by SevenKeys »

1985 spree. Was in an accident which badly bent the front fork. Now left hand brake does not engage the stop light or, apparently, the starter button. There must be a short somewhere but extensive inspection of the wires does not reveal any apparent damage. The wiring diagram is confusing. Where does the brown wire out of the stop light go? If I can get the stop light to work, I'm fairly sure the starter will engage. With ignition key on the tail light works and the right hand brake will engage the stop light. Any suggestions?
cadillacmob
Noob
Noob

Re: left hand brake does not engage stop light or starter bu

Post by cadillacmob »

My spree has the same issue except both my brake levers won't operate the taillight , my starter button won't work. I'm curious to know what is causing
This issue
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Ground Wire?
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

Had the same problem on an SA. The wires had came unplugged from the harness in the cowl. Plugged it back in and the world was lovely again.
We can learn much from wise words, and less from wise guys.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Brown wire is the Positive voltage for the tail lamp. It is not detailed in the diagram below, but if you have a test lamp or multimeter, check for +12v with ign on on that brown wire with the brake levers pulled. Then troubleshoot downstream. Here is a simplified diagram from a Honda Service manual. Once the brake lamp is proven working, its pretty much down to starter button, starter relay or starter motor. Check the high and ground side of each (Starter button, Starter motor and Starter relay output to starter) and you will quickly find the issue.

SevenKeys
Noob
Noob

Post by SevenKeys »

Thanks for the advice and for the great diagram. I will continue my search and use my multimeter. You have to love Harbor Freight.