How do I check petcock?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

indy111
BMX
BMX

How do I check petcock?

Post by indy111 »

I have an 85 spree. I don't believe I'm getting any fuel through the petcock. I cleaned out the tank and filter, the fuel and vacuum lines are fine and I blew out the petcock with my air compressor. I pulled the fuel line off the petcock and turned the ignition to see if that would shoot out some fuel, didn't happen. Anyone have some advise? Thanks, indy111
fatcharlie
Goped
Goped

Re: How do I check petcock?

Post by fatcharlie »

The petcock is vacuum operated... you have to apply vacuum to the diaphragm (the line coming out of the bottom).

Check out page 4-11 of the service manual http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Spree_NQ50_84-87_1.pdf
1986 NB50
indy111
BMX
BMX

Post by indy111 »

fatcharlie wrote:The petcock is vacuum operated... you have to apply vacuum to the diaphragm (the line coming out of the bottom).

Check out page 4-11 of the service manual http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Spree_NQ50_84-87_1.pdf
My vacuum is hooked up but I still have nothing. How do I check if the vacuum is even doing its job?
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

remove the vacuum line from the intake and the fuel line from the carb. Put the vacuum line in your mouth and suck on it, if theres fuel in the tank then it should come out of the fuel line. Or use some kind of a vacuum tool
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

It doesn't take much vacuum to open the petcock. Be careful when you suck on the line so you don't get any residual fuel in your mouth. It only makes vacuum when the engine is running so you can't see it.
89 Elite E
indy111
BMX
BMX

Post by indy111 »

dun rite wrote:remove the vacuum line from the intake and the fuel line from the carb. Put the vacuum line in your mouth and suck on it, if theres fuel in the tank then it should come out of the fuel line. Or use some kind of a vacuum tool
OK!! Thanks, that worked great! Now I know I'm getting fuel through the petcock. I don't believe the vacuum is pulling it though. How do I check to make sure it's getting in the carb. I pulled the fuel line off the petcock and poured gas into it. The fuel runs straight through the carb and comes out the hose on the bottom of the carb and onto the ground. I'm sure if the bowl is even filling. ??
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Maybe check your float in the bowl of the carb if you know how to do that. Perhaps it's missing? :*:
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

You could check this:

Turn the screw at the bottom of the float bowl in. (clockwise) That is the drain for the bowl.

If the drain is open, gas will continue to flow because the float can't seat the needle closed! :surprise:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
indy111
BMX
BMX

Post by indy111 »

That worked fine i have great gas flow. It turns out that I wasn't waiting long enough for the bowl to fill up. It's running fine now, thanks