Flooding Issues...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Flooding Issues...

Post by SpreeWilly »

For the past few days, I've noticed my '84 spree having harder startups and smellier exhaust. Yesterday I drove my Spree 12 miles to work like I always do. After the ride, I parked it and let it sit for about 4 hours. When I came back to it, I smelled gas. Upon further inspection I saw gas seeping out of the overflow on the carburetor and dripping down the outside of the belt case. When I went to start it, it was flooded. After letting it dry out a bit and kick starting it a million times, I got it running really crappy and the oil light came on (which is weird because it has oil). Knowing it was flooded, I revved the crap out of it until it was idling and driving regularly again, at which point I drove the 12 miles back home--no problem. In the morning, same thing--flooded with gas seeping from the carb overflow and the oil light glaring at me. I just took the carb off and it's full to the rim with gas.

What is causing my '84 Spree to flood itself while just sitting?

-Do not tell me to run some specific test that requires the tools of a professional garage. I'm a college student, running a STOCK Spree that I am content with keeping stock, and I maintain my Spree from my driveway. I'm not one of these guys that upgrade their Sprees like I'm playing some Xbox game.

Got an idea of whats causing my issue? I'm all ears.
Landon

1984 Honda Spree that was brutally kidnapped & relentlessly rescued from the West Side of Buffalo.
1985 Honda Spree that keeps his '84 close at night.

I'm prepared to fight for my Spreedom.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Flooding Issues...

Post by mousewheels »

What is causing my '84 Spree to flood itself while just sitting?
Two issues occur to cause flooding when sitting. Both should be fixed.

1) Vacuum petcock is not sealing when engine off. It should always shut off fuel w/o vacuum. It is a safety to keep from a tank of gas on the garage floor.
2) Carb float needle/seat seal issue. Clean that part of the carb, inspect/replace needle. Some polish the seat with toothpaste.
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

This is good information; thanks.

Would this confirm the faulty vacuum petcock idea?:

Before removing the carburetor, I turned off the fuel line with the little on/off valve. I'm still new to two strokes, so I wanted to see what would happen if i turned it back on without the carb attached (i.e. would gas just flow through or would it need vacuum?). I turned it back on, and gas flowed freely through the tube.

Let me know what you think.
Landon

1984 Honda Spree that was brutally kidnapped & relentlessly rescued from the West Side of Buffalo.

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Before removing the carburetor, I turned off the fuel line with the little on/off valve. I'm still new to two strokes, so I wanted to see what would happen if i turned it back on without the carb attached (i.e. would gas just flow through or would it need vacuum?). I turned it back on, and gas flowed freely through the tube.
Stock Spree has only the vacuum petcock located under the fuel tank. If there is a valve in-line with the fuel line, a previous owner added it. Please post a pic!

P.S. - Here is a link to the Spree service manual

Stock petcock diagram below, line on bottom is vacuum, middle is fuel.
VacuumPetcock.JPG
VacuumPetcock.JPG (10.35 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

If you have a add on on/off valve you will need to turn it to the off position every time you stop the bike. Likely your float needle is failing causing the bowl to over fill. Turning it off will stop this leaking when it is not running. However it should be repaired. Either by re fitting a proper vaccum assisted petcock and replacing the needle. Or just replacing the needle alone. Leaving the needle to stop the flow is not the smartest idea, but will work in a pinch.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
SpreeWilly
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeWilly »

I bought the scooter about 3 months ago, so its possible I just didn't realize I was suppose to shut off this valve every time I got off the bike. However, it's a daily driver (I live in the city--it's ideal transportation) and it's never shown these symptoms until now.

In the picture attached (hopefully it attached correctly), you can see the fuel line (carb is off right now so it's just kind of dangling there). I think it goes from the gas tank -> petcock -> mid-line on/off valve -> filter? (that red thing...) -> carb.

So I guess this isn't stock. I didn't know.
Why would the previous owner add this? Faulty petcock he didn't want to replace?
How do I make this functional for day to day average driving again?
I need to resolve this quickly or I'm walking to school all week.
Attachments
Petcock.JPG
Petcock.JPG (40.44 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
Landon

martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

SpreeWilly wrote:I bought the scooter about 3 months ago, so its possible I just didn't realize I was suppose to shut off this valve every time I got off the bike. However, it's a daily driver (I live in the city--it's ideal transportation) and it's never shown these symptoms until now.

In the picture attached (hopefully it attached correctly), you can see the fuel line (carb is off right now so it's just kind of dangling there). I think it goes from the gas tank -> petcock -> mid-line on/off valve -> filter? (that red thing...) -> carb.

So I guess this isn't stock. I didn't know. Exactly
Why would the previous owner add this? Faulty petcock he didn't want to replace?Likely
How do I make this functional for day to day average driving again?Correct functioning petcock[/color]
I need to resolve this quickly or I'm walking to school all week.
Not likely you will find what you need locally.

PM Sent.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts