85 NQ50 problems starting...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

facechicken
BMX
BMX

85 NQ50 problems starting...

Post by facechicken »

Ok i used the search feature and couldnt find an answer that matched my problem, so here it is....

has compression, has a good starter, new battery, new spark plug, getting gas, engine has been sitting for years and years, has new air cleaner, has manual petcock with a cap on the intake suction point.......got it started without the exhaust on it.....put the exhaust on it, got it running again and found out that there wasn't an exhaust gasket and it was leaking exhaust from there....bought gasket, installed gasket, will not start....just crank and crank....sounds like its trying to start sometimes.....took exhaust off, will not start without the exhaust now either, only let it run maybe 5 seconds when i got it started without the exhaust the first time....plug seems fouled everytime i pull it out after attempting to start it (smells like gas and oil, looks maily black), took carb off, cleaned it again (making sure the float works properly by doing the blow-through test and raising the float), still wont start, reinstalled exhaust...

any ideas guys besides taking the head off and changing rings, which i will do if thats what it needs, but am i overlooking something? Is the crankcase possibly full of oil and if so is there an easy way to drain it if its causing the problem?

Thanks for any help you can lend me
facechicken
BMX
BMX

Re: 85 NQ50 problems starting...

Post by facechicken »

A little more info, its an 85 nq50, the air box assembly is all the way on, will it do me any good to take the head off and clean the head with a sandblaster to clear it all off(the inside of the top of the cylinder head where the spark plug goes in), i have a blaster cabinet, i believe its a bead blaster and not a full blown sandblaster(not mine, but i have access to it)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth FaceChicken:
I
s the crankcase possibly full of oil and if so is there an easy way to drain it if its causing the problem?
You did a great job troubleshooting. The symptoms are consistent with a case full of oil. Sometimes the oil pump seals drip-drip-drip. Wait long enough and it's a mess.

Remove the reed block and tip the engine - or the scooter - on its L side to drain. Be sure to do this over a Priceless Persian Rug. :) I'd swap in another new plug and make sure some of that oil isn't now clogging your exhaust. Maybe she fires right up once all the oil is out of the way?

Good luck!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
facechicken
BMX
BMX

Post by facechicken »

Thanks for the info, gonna try it tomorrow, hopefully thats all it is, it had oil in the oil tank bout 1/4 to 1/2 full before i took it off and cleaned it out and changed the oil...when i started getting this thing back on the road (or attempting to anyways)
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Pull the plug and crank it. It makes a mess but gets it out without having to replace seals.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
facechicken
BMX
BMX

Post by facechicken »

I pulled the plug and cranked it a few times and nothing came out
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

If it is truly full something would come out. You said you had it running without the exhaust. Have you burned the pipe yet?
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
facechicken
BMX
BMX

Post by facechicken »

The pipe has plenty of flow, and it doesnt start anymore even when i took te exhaust off and tried to start it again.....
facechicken
BMX
BMX

Post by facechicken »

Keep in mind everytime i tried to restart it, even after taking the exhaust off again, i removed the plug and cleaned it with cumbustion chamber cleaner and then reinstalled the plug and then tried to start it
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

What if there's enough oil to slosh the spark plug without a whole lot coming out at cranking speed? If that's not it, do a compression test while the spark plug is off. It's just possible running sans pipe burned a piston ring... in addition to damaging the hearing of anyone in a 1-mile radius.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
facechicken
BMX
BMX

Post by facechicken »

Yeah it was pretty d*** loud, i dont think i ran it long enough to burn a ring, i bet it wasnt even 5 seconds before i turned the switch off, it was smoking really bad when it fired up so i shut it off, just wanted to test that it would start
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Still might be a good idea to check compression.
Unless you're willing to pull a perfectly good top end, it's easier to check for oil in the sump with reed removal + Left Lateral Recumbency.
Wheelman-111
facechicken
BMX
BMX

Post by facechicken »

Well....i retested my compression with a different tester today and i have 80 for the reading, put a cab full of oil in the hole and retested at 110......looks like i need me some rings.....85 nq50, wheres a good place to get em cheap?
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

ebay
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank