I need some advice

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kaisarwilhelm
Noob
Noob

I need some advice

Post by kaisarwilhelm »

I am new to the world of scooters and I want to learn about motors and how they work so I can do my own work. However, I am going to need a lot of technical help if I am going to buy a winter project bike. I realize that a project bike would motivate me to learn quickly as I would need to ride it by late March or early April. I am looking to purchase something to commute to work. I live 5 miles away from work and the highest the speed limit gets is 40, so I would like to get close to that in speed (for safety). I am really tight on funds, which is another advantage of a scooter...it would pay for itself in a year. I am okay with a two stroke and have been shopping around. I refuse to buy chineese and I do not have the money for European or Genuine, that leaves me with an old Honda or Yamaha. I have recearched a lot and am left with old Honda motors run forever. Getting to my point, I found this ad on Craigslist: http://jxn.craigslist.org/mcy/3394919301.html

I think for a spree ('86) and an elite E (89?) that is a great deal. The guy bought them broken and didn't get around to fixing them. He said something about putting starting fluid in it and it ran. They are complete, but the carbs may need cleaning...or something worse. I don't want lemons, so my question would be can you guys help me get them running if I provide detailed information on my progess. If you help me fix them both, I will sell the spree to you for a great deal. If I can't get them both running, are the engines the same engine (or are any parts compatible) and does the elite have a CVT trans or just the silly single gear that the spree does?

Any help is appreciated and it is urgent since he has had the ad up a few days already.
motormike

Re: I need some advice

Post by motormike »

With little or no mechanical aptitude, you should be buying a running scooter...IMHO
I wouldn't suggest a Spree for commuting 5 miles on streets with 40mph speed limit. Too slow.
The Elite E (89?) is hardly any better than Spree...this deal might get you nowhere... :oops:
Enlist some help in making an evaluation of these two bikes before you spend.... :wink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I also saw that ad on Craigslist and was happy to pass on it.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I agree with motormike its hard to know what you are getting into with no knowledge. when buying non running scooters you really need to know your stuff or you could go broke buying parts.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
kaisarwilhelm
Noob
Noob

Post by kaisarwilhelm »

I talked to the guy on the phone, it seems a good enough deal to me.The biggest thing is that my working on lawn mower engine experience does not include transmissions and I haven't worked on a 2-stroke.

I got a lot of advice from wikispreedia and it seems that a dirty carb is the most common issue. I figure if I buy two of these and cleaning the carb fixes one of them then great. I am up to performance mods in the spring when I would really want to start riding anyway. I figured exhaust and a big bore would be good places to start. I hear even though they only have a single gear, you can get them upwards 35 or 40 (I am no expert though).

Am I correct that these are the NQ50 and the SB50?

I can wait until I get my taxes back to purchase something nicer, but then I would want it already running since spring would be upon me. If you tell me its not a good deal, I will trust your judgment. It seems like the best 2 wheel deals are in the fall when it is uncommon to want to buy one. Except that in the late spring all college students realize they have no way to transport it home or no need for it at home so they ditch them for cheap (especially in local college towns like Ann Arbor and East Lansing [University of Michigan and Michigan State respectively].) Should I just wait for spring and spend more? Honestly I'd prefer something with a CVT to get better top speed and better accelleration. New models (when de-restricted) hit 45 stock and still get 100+mpg. I just don't have $2,000 to spend on a ruckus, metropolitian, piaggio fly, or genuine buddy right now.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

sounds to me you are ready to get your feet wet, in scooters. If you get em you know you will have lots of help here to fix them. and if they dont turn out you could always part them out on ebay. A bunch of the parts are interchangable between th sb50 and the spree. You can get the bbk carb and gears for the spree and soon there will be a pipe to go with it.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

I looked at your craigslist, and saw this Honda Elite 80 for sale, registered and running, at http://flint.craigslist.org/mcy/3328858869.html. Unfortunately, it's far away.

In my view, an 80 cc Elite should be fast enough for you, it has a variator (CVT) and the engine is a 4 cycle. I know this is a Spree/Elite 50 forum, and I have both kinds of scooters myself, but for a beginner who has some experience with 4 cycle lawn mowers, the Elite 80 is a more reasonable choice.
motormike

Post by motormike »

wentwest said the very words that I was inclined to say, but didn't want to let my personal preferences out of the bag. Elite 80 is an excellent choice for a beginning scooterist. $400 is a pretty fair price too. Honda scooter that has been made for more than 20 years must have something going for it, just sayin'... :thumbwink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

I had an Elite E as my first Honda scooter, had I done the research, I would've passed on it for a CVT model. It was a fun little ride, but the SA50 I moved into is/was a much more versatile bike.
kaisarwilhelm
Noob
Noob

Post by kaisarwilhelm »

Eft37 wrote:I had an Elite E as my first Honda scooter, had I done the research, I would've passed on it for a CVT model. It was a fun little ride, but the SA50 I moved into is/was a much more versatile bike.
I decided not to go with those and am still looking. I would prefer a CVT model, but if I can't find one, is there anyway of getting a gearbox onto a spree? I've looked around the forum and have no found anything. It seems with only one gear it would be hard to get up to 40 or 45 (even with big bore and maybe exhaust. Again, I am a noob and don't quite know what it takes, that's just what I've heard)

Part of the issue with 80cc is that in Michigan (and most states) it is a motorcycle and I do not want to commit to paying motorcycle registration, insurance, and an endorsement on my license (eventually, just not yet). I realize a big bore would make a 50 into an 80, like everyone else I would do so without telling the DoT :wink: . I found a working spree for $200 2 hours away and am waiting to hear from the seller. It is only missing the rear blinkers/small rack, which I figured I could get for a decent price on here from someone parting out. Keep your eyes open Michigan boys, I'm bound to catch a good deal somewhere.
kaisarwilhelm
Noob
Noob

Post by kaisarwilhelm »

patthesoundguy wrote:sounds to me you are ready to get your feet wet, in scooters.
Yes, I just want to make sure I don't dive in the deep end and end up over my head. I don't want to start with a project too big for me to handle. I have a mechanically inclined friend in the area, but he may not be able to help me since his 1500cc harley is his bike and the smallest engine he's worked on. It is fuel-injected, 4-stroke, and has a gearbox...worlds different than what I'm looking at.
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

kaisarwilhelm wrote:Part of the issue with 80cc is that in Michigan (and most states) it is a motorcycle and I do not want to commit to paying motorcycle registration, insurance, and an endorsement on my license (eventually, just not yet). I realize a big bore would make a 50 into an 80, like everyone else I would do so without telling the DoT :wink: . I found a working spree for $200 2 hours away and am waiting to hear from the seller. It is only missing the rear blinkers/small rack, which I figured I could get for a decent price on here from someone parting out. Keep your eyes open Michigan boys,I'm bound to catch a good deal somewhere.
I still think you should PM me about my 1996 SA50.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Spree signal lights http://dx.com/p/1w-8lm-halogen-warm-whi ... 12v-159496
10$ free shipping for 2
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
kaisarwilhelm
Noob
Noob

Post by kaisarwilhelm »

Other bikes are sold. :sad: Moving on,

I know its not a Spree or Elite (or Honda) but it fits my criteria. What do you think?

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/3417396674.html

Jogs are good, right? I inquired as to the year which will tell me which engine is in it. Looks like he took care of it. A guy who cares about his bike is a far better buy than a throw-away toy because he got bored IMHO.

Edit: he says its a 1990 so it has a horizontal Minarelli.
7m-iata
Goped
Goped

Post by 7m-iata »

jogs are great scoots you'll be pretty happy with it and the scoot looks to be all there . I'd go for it for $400.