Need to "Beef Up" the ride

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

erlansford
BMX
BMX

Need to "Beef Up" the ride

Post by erlansford »

I need to know what tire/wheel combo's might fit on my 87 Elite. I want to go with something bigger and a bit beefier. And also, what about shocks... I am kinda a big guy, and my scoot sometimes bottoms out the suspension on big bumps at higher speeds.
Thanks in advance.
Oh, and is there a way to convert to disk brakes on the front of this thing?
87 Elite SE50
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You can run Honda XR50 tires on that, which are a 2.5 x 10 knobby... that beefy enough?

Check vtcycles.com for an aftermarket shock for your scoot. Tell them your problem.

Disk brakes are a whole other fetish. Check Adv Tech section and/or call VT Cycles on that too.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

disc brake straight bolt up on an 87 will have to have a zx or G triple with a japan headset. The bottom legs can be taiwan or japan depending on the rims you want to run.(very expensive to do this)
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

yeah only the real players can have this set up.. they dont like to share..
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
erlansford
BMX
BMX

Post by erlansford »

Thanks for the info folks!
I have contacted VT cycles this morning, and am waiting on the reply now. As for checking the Adv Tech section, I found nothing there regarding Disk brakes.
Hey noiseguy, how is the ride on knobby tires? Am I going to have issues rideing on the street with them?
As for the japan disk conversion, what do you call expensive? The last tuneup on my truck cost more than I have into my scoot. And with the money I save in gas on this thing, I think I can get the boss to allow me to spend whatever I want on it.
So, does anyone have a required parts list for the disk conversion?

Thanks again all!
87 Elite SE50
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

no problems with rideing them on the street other then they wear out fast.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

erlansford wrote:Thanks for the info folks!
As for the japan disk conversion, what do you call expensive? The last tuneup on my truck cost more than I have into my scoot. And with the money I save in gas on this thing, I think I can get the boss to allow me to spend whatever I want on it.
Expensive, as in you could buy a better carb, Polini 65cc jug and head, and aftermarket exhaust for what the front brake conversion would run. Which would you rather have?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

erlansford
BMX
BMX

Post by erlansford »

So, your saying more than $300 in parts? I would still like a list of required parts for this conversion. This morning a light turned red on me, and I had one * of a time getting stopped before I ended up in the intersection. And I just checked the brakes 3 weeks ago, and they are perfect. I know most of the problem lies in the fact that I am about 60lbs heavier than the scoot is supposed to carry. Thus, this post....lol
87 Elite SE50
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

check for glazing..if they are glazed..no matter how hard you stop it wont make it stop faster
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
erlansford
BMX
BMX

Post by erlansford »

I did check for glazing and wear and cracks when I checked the brakes a few weeks back. they were in perfect condition. This feels like the typical old drum brake issues. I used to have a 71 Kawi H1A that had front dums and it acted exactly the same way, until I put front disks on it. It just doesen't have the stopping power that I prefer. Not that I want to do a stoppy or anything crazy like that...lol But thanks for the idea. I think the only way to get what I want will be to convert to disk.
87 Elite SE50
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

i did a stoppy on my elite and spree it is not that hard to do.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

if you are 190+ I would say fat chance of a stoppie especially moving at 50+mph.Off the top of my head the disc brake conversion will cost 800+ just for parts.And fortunately your moped can accomidate a japan disc brake conversion with no major modifications. For those who don't think that disc breaks are worth it. They don't ride fast enough to know the difference between drum and disc.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

hrnytrtlsgsxr wrote:if you are 190+ I would say fat chance of a stoppie especially moving at 50+mph.Off the top of my head the disc brake conversion will cost 800+ just for parts.And fortunately your moped can accomidate a japan disc brake conversion with no major modifications. For those who don't think that disc breaks are worth it. They don't ride fast enough to know the difference between drum and disc.
I know the difference, trust me, and I still don't think it's worth it.

Like I said, for the $ upgrade the engine and get a set of "performance" brake shoes with some better material.

Speaking of which, I assume you went through the brakes, checking cables and lubing pivot points?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

erlansford
BMX
BMX

Post by erlansford »

noiseguy wrote:I know the difference, trust me, and I still don't think it's worth it.

Like I said, for the $ upgrade the engine and get a set of "performance" brake shoes with some better material.

Speaking of which, I assume you went through the brakes, checking cables and lubing pivot points?
I checked everything and also replaced the cable with a new one from the dealer. (last night) The only difference is that the front brake no longer sticks for a second when I let off it.

Oh, and noiseguy suggested that I put an xr tire on my scoot to get beefier tires. When I was working on it last night, I noticed that the factory Dunlops that are on it are 2.75 x 10's so I would say no, the XR tire is not going to be beefier.
Oh well. I am going to take some measurements tonight, and see what I might be able to fit in there.
87 Elite SE50
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

noiseguy wrote:
I know the difference, trust me, and I still don't think it's worth it.

those who think like this never took the MSF course(motorcycle safety). it shows majority of stopping in the fron brakes. They probably don't really think about safety factor either. Also probably think that their drum brakes are just fine. You seem to know alot technically but lack in safety.You need to learn to stop before you go fast. Guess what the major of the shop owners in hawaii would attest to this.I thought you were someone that embraces safety?I guess not.