Newbie with Elite Eighty

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

rowdyc
BMX
BMX

Newbie with Elite Eighty

Post by rowdyc »

I just scored a Elite 80 that has ben sitting for awhile in which it just died before sitting. I've brought back to life a Helix that was sitting for seven years so I have an idea of whats needed .....I think.
This scooter is much smaller than the Helix and things are harder to get to. I had to remove the rear fender and exhaust just to get carb off to clean. Wow! I was expecting the scooter to not have a fuel filter but the engine has a plastic covering, too. The scooter has almost 10k miles but the engine cover is still there. Should I remove the plastic engine cover so it can breath better? The cover is screwed in at several locations around the engine.

Also the upper front fairing around the head light is cracked in several places and I'm using duct tape to hold toghether. It is very hard to find this item used and the Honda part is very expensive. Has anyone tried to repair this plastic and repaint? What colors matches the 2002 red?
Atis
BMX
BMX

Re: Newbie with Elite Eighty

Post by Atis »

Don't remove the engine cowling it's there to provide the engine with cooling air from the fan. The filter is in the gas tank above the petcock.
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

Getting at the back side nut on the carb is a real joy............I just went through the same deal on mine. The engine is air cooled so if you remove the plastic shroud from around the engine, you will reduce the cooling effect of the fan which is located under the plastic. Make sure you have the correct air pressure in the tires, it really effects the ride and handleing.
89 Elite E
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth RowdyC:
Should I remove the plastic engine cover so it can breath better? The cover is screwed in at several locations around the engine.
Seriously? I detect the distinct aroma of a Troll. If not...

The engine also has a ceramic plug blocking a hole in the combustion chamber. This was installed temporarily by Honda-san just to keep out the dirt during shipping. Removing it will make it much easier to spin the engine. Also, those black Rim Protectors should be stripped from the rims to enable better Road Feel. They're on there pretty tight, so just use a knife and slice them off in chunks. Oh, and just plug the wire that went to the Temporary Plug onto some convenient fastener, like the fuel tank bolt.

And yes, I keed you. :) The advice to keep the Cooling Shrouds (do some reading) in place was sound.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

I've hauled quite a few Honda scooters back from the cliff edge of death, and the first thing you should do is take the entire engine out of the frame, take off the rear wheel, and get to work. You can get to every part easily if the engine is on your bench. It's really not too hard to take it out, maybe 45 minutes work. Just keep track of where wires go and take lots of pictures if you are worried about getting it together again. It helps a lot if you have another person to help out getting it out and back in again. My 150 and 250 Elites stood on the center stand with no problem while the engine was out.
rowdyc
BMX
BMX

Post by rowdyc »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I may just pull the engine to do a valve adjustment and remove carb.

It's been sitting for over a year because the guy said it was hard to start. He rode the scooter somewhere, stopped and it would not start when he was prepared to go home. It has never started since. I think it needs a valve adjustment.

I've cleaned the carb, new battery, drained the gas, changed the oil, transmission fluid, spark plug and air filter. It still will not start even after spraying carb cleaner through carb. I did notice that the carb was leaking. Will that stop it from starting? I think it is the float pin issue and I need to clean carb again. Since the guy said it was hard to start and finally would not start again, I think it maybe the starter or may need a valve adjustment. It does have over 9k miles for a 2002. I read a current post where someone put premix into spark plug hole (is that like two stoke oil and gas mix) Here are the things I plan to do next.

1. Check the spark plug for fire.
2. Check the starter switch (best way???)
3. Pull engine cover to perform valve adjustment.
3. May need to check if oil pump is leaking.

Any other suggestions, to get the scooter started, would be great.
"It's a Honda!!!"
rowdyc
BMX
BMX

Post by rowdyc »

I got some parts....so many I need to sell.

I also got the engine off but busted a screw replacing the engine head cover. Hope to get his thing going soon.

First Day

Engine Off (Hope I can put back together)
"It's a Honda!!!"
rowdyc
BMX
BMX

Post by rowdyc »

After a valve adjustment and carb cleaning (with the tooth paste remedy), finally got the scoot up and going. Plastic painted back to OEM red color and new marks. Added a windshield and rear luggage trunk.
With a new belt and Dr. Pulley 9 gram sliders the speed did improve but I can only get it up to 35mph. No bogging or stalling, backing firing, or anything. I think I may have a problem with the clutch. It does have 9500 miles on it. During the slow take off, it squeaks from the clutch area but I can't hear that noise when on the center stand. Any suggestions??
Last edited by rowdyc on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

What size rear tire is on it? Have you measured the width of the belt? It should do 40+.
89 Elite E