I think I need a new belt...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

I think I need a new belt...

Post by 87spree70superbee »

So, I fired up my Spree two days ago and pulled her outta the shed along with my dad's Kymco. Threw the snow-blower in the shed, rode the Kymco to the garage. Walked back and got on the spree... Revved it full throttle and... She don't move. It tries, but needs a push start. Got it on the pavement and she still struggled a little. I cracked off my belt cover and there's black dust everywhere. I examined the belt. I can squeeze the belt in between the pulleys and the two ends of the belt will touch. That seems pretty stretched out. The guy I bought it from said that the motorcycle company he took it to to get it running had installed a new belt, but something tells me that he just took the old one to the hardware store and bought one. So my question is... Are there any upgrades for the belts that will last longer or make it go faster? Like a taller or wider belt? And where can I get the proper one? This may be the answer to my previous problem too... My spree tops out at 20. I think my belt has been slipping a little all along.

Thanks,
Nick
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
patthesoundguy

Re: I think I need a new belt...

Post by patthesoundguy »

Yup there is a such a belt you are looking for. Part number AX24 a standard cogged belt that is wider than the original to restore top end speed to original and a little more added. If you have trouble finding one I have found a supplier for them and can get them easily. Is the belt cogged on it now, if it was a hardware store replacement it prob will be a standard belt (non cogged). A standard belt will work but no where near the life expectancy. And make sure the rear driven pulley halves have the spring them pushing together all the way. Sometimes the two halves can get stuck and not want to move around to keep tension on the belt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

patthesoundguy wrote:Yup there is a such a belt you are looking for. Part number AX24 a standard cogged belt that is wider than the original to restore top end speed to original and a little more added. If you have trouble finding one I have found a supplier for them and can get them easily. Is the belt cogged on it now, if it was a hardware store replacement it prob will be a standard belt (non cogged). A standard belt will work but no where near the life expectancy. And make sure the rear driven pulley halves have the spring them pushing together all the way. Sometimes the two halves can get stuck and not want to move around to keep tension on the belt.

Ok, I'll probably bring the spree to work tomorrow and get some help from my uncle. It's ok to use an impact gun on the clutch nut, right? Can't get that thing off any other way I've tried so far. Yeah, this belt does have cogs, but it's ridiculously looseness makes me suspect a bad belt or a stupid installer...
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Yup impact to remove but reinstall by hand though then torque on.

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Allright... I finally got the AX24 belt on there and I can say that it solved a lot of my problems. :ndance: First up is top speed is back to around 32 ish. I had a loud low speed exhaust noise when I bought it, now that's gone. (Weird, right? It's just a belt) And pickup is greatly recovered. Now, I get a major vibration in the scoot while going from an idling stop to WOT for about a second at around 5 mph... There's some rust on the driven pulley, so I'm going to get a wire wheel on a dremel and clean that up. Clutch pads are good, etc. Next mod up is shaving some aluminum out of the spacer on the driver pulley to get some more top end. The driven pulley still has a little space to spread apart. I am so happy that now I can do this :coolcruise: and not have any major problems. Next up is a ported intake manifold, 87 reeds, and slowly but surely, a Taz big bore kit and a trans gear upgrade. I want to push it to 40 mph, so maybe eventually I'll have to get a carburetor. All with time. :peace:
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Did you try taking a little sandpaper to the clutch pads and clutch bell and spray them down with brake clean? Just sometimes need to take the glaze off of everything. The ax24 belt changes the gearing up a little so any little glaze on the clutch pads and bell can cause some chatter.

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

patthesoundguy wrote:Did you try taking a little sandpaper to the clutch pads and clutch bell and spray them down with brake clean? Just sometimes need to take the glaze off of everything. The ax24 belt changes the gearing up a little so any little glaze on the clutch pads and bell can cause some chatter.

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
I'll do that when I pull it apart to get the rust off. Thanks. :-)
Black 85 Spree-SOLD