Honda Elite 80 Missing Airbox

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

handsomedevil27
BMX
BMX

Honda Elite 80 Missing Airbox

Post by handsomedevil27 »

So I removed the plastics to the new honda elite I picked up the other week to change out the air filter, and spark plug when I noticed the entire airbox was missing....
it seems as if the old owner duct taped some sort of filter to it. my questions is, anyone know what kinda filter is currently on here? and my second question is, should I remove it and hop on ebay pick up an air box and use a standard filter? ive read on other forums that removing the stock air box and upgrading the filter can sometimes help in mph gains..
If anyone else sees something else seriously wrong with the workings of this scooter, feel free to chime in. total novice here, first scooter ever.

Last edited by handsomedevil27 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
rowdyc
BMX
BMX

Re: Honda Elite 80 Missing Airbox

Post by rowdyc »

Of course we don't know what type of filter you have without a picture. You shouldn't run it without air box unless some other changes were made to the carb and muffler. You may need to check the carb's jets. The current air filter maybe suffice but I'm not aware of any filter that is as good as the OEM.
"It's a Honda!!!"
handsomedevil27
BMX
BMX

Post by handsomedevil27 »

rowdyc wrote:Of course we don't know what type of filter you have without a picture. You shouldn't run it without air box unless some other changes were made to the carb and muffler. You may need to check the carb's jets. The current air filter maybe suffice but I'm not aware of any filter that is as good as the OEM.
sorry, broken link. this pic should work:

devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

The risk is that the carb wasn't re-jetted to compensate for the new filter, so at the very least you'll want to pull the carb and see if it still has the stock jet (no idea what this is on an elite 80, sorry). If the jetting hasn't been changed then you know that its been running lean as long as that filter has been installed. If the jet has been upped, then you need to decide how much you trust the previous owner(s).

Its up to you what you do, but from a reliability standpoint the stock airbox is the best option.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

That arrangement is fine for working out the bugs. If you want to pull off the carb you will need to remove the tire and the inner fender to get to the back nut. Plan on adjusting the valves if you haven't yet. I think mine sounds like a cement mixer but it runs great.
89 Elite E