Idle circuit clear?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Idle circuit clear?

Post by Kikwear »

I have been having issues with this d*** thing idling. I tried my damnest to clean out the idle jet. If I put a light to it, I can see a pinhole coming though only if I tilt it to one side looking down the carb linkage hole. I cannot see directly down like you can the main jet. Do I still need to clean it more?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

have u tried tweaking the carb screws? thats what did it for me. you just might to have to make it a bit more richer. Mine used to run real lean, and would be fast, but wouldnt idle. making it richer helps it idle better.
projects galore :nerd:
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

Ok, on the two screws...in means richer on air screw and idler faster on idle speed screw?

Ok...just took it for a spin. Still has no power. Even with the new #65 jet. Now I'm just getting *. :evil: Like when it had the bigger jet but not as bad. So, it still won't idle and won't get up to speed...we're talking 15mph max.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

do u still have the stock screw setup? if you do i can guide you from there, so you can turn the screws like mine. i dont really remember which way is leaner or richer, so if your setup is different already then i probably cant help.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

You may be suffering from excessive carbon in the muffler/jug. This has happened to me before. Sounds similar.
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

I don't have a torch to clean the muffler. Can I print out the cleaning instructions and just take it to someone to do it?
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

Ok, just tried starting it after it sat overnight. It will start and idle for a bout 30 seconds...slowly slowing down until it eventually stalls. After that, it will not idle on it's own unless I hold the throttle open a bit. This is always the case whenever I come over to my parent's to work on it. This is some frustrating sh*t.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

My grandson is frequently here with me going over the posts. I understand your frustration Kikwear, but please clean up the language.
I'm not a prude by any means, just respectful of others.
Scoot safely
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

to me it sounds like the automatic choke/ autobystarter is acting up, in the service manual there is a way to test the choke to see if it is working properly, you may want to try that
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Shane4188 wrote:to me it sounds like the automatic choke/ autobystarter is acting up, in the service manual there is a way to test the choke to see if it is working properly, you may want to try that
if u have my luck, it wont be the choke. ur problem sounds exactly like what i had with my spree. I did the choke test, and that wasnt it. possible in ur case, but i still think that you may have a combination of too lean fuel mixture and clogged pipe.

too lean= wont idle
clogged pipe= low top speed

that is my opinion.

*edit*

ok, here u go, found the info for tuning a carb. i got mine really clean and it still didnt idle. but after doing some adjusting it idles nicely. this site should help u out:
http://www.scootertherapy.com/carbrepair.html
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Jerry wrote:My grandson is frequently here with me going over the posts. I understand your frustration Kikwear, but please clean up the language.
I'm not a prude by any means, just respectful of others.

Jerry, welcome back! Hope you're feeling well.

The language needs to clean up, guys. I've been too busy lately to go over all the posts. Now that I have read through more of them, I can see I should have nipped this sooner. Please censor yourselves; there's no need to swear online.
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

Sorry about the language Noise and Jerry, it did get out of hand, and it won't again from me. Guaranteed
I try to fix things with a hammer and wrench!
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Thanks for understanding fellas (gals too).
Again, I'm really not a prude or anything but in this day and age, it's hard to get the young ones brought up to respect the feelings of others and the more they are subjected to negative things, the more they pick up (like a sponge I guess).
Scoot safely
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

are there even any "galls" here?lol.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

But try cleaning the exhaughst port.