Oil pump leaking into crank case??

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Oil pump leaking into crank case??

Post by SpyderMike »

Hello all! Its been a while...
I just picked up a 99 Elite SR that's been sitting for a few years. Did all my required maintenance / new fluids. So that was all good.

After I got it started, it would bog down about 1/2 throttle and shoot a lot o smoke out the pipe. Figured it was lean so I cleaned the carb again.

Still bogged, so I figured I'd run it up and down the driveway and see if that shed any light.

After a few runs and lots of smoke it started to run good. Took it for a few small test rides and a half hour one and all was right with the world.

Started it this morning, and it was bogging and smoking for half a block and then it ran fine.

My question is.... Could the oil pump be leaking into to motor while it sits? Anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks ahead for any input!
Wheelman-111

Re: Oil pump leaking into crank case??

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

SpyderMike axt:
Started it this morning, and it was bogging and smoking for half a block and then it ran fine. My question is.... Could the oil pump be leaking into to motor while it sits? Anyone else ever have this problem?
EVERYONE has had this problem who's worked an older or high-mileage Honda oil pump. They do that. Mousewheels had a particularly good description of the pump and its innards in WIKI or the Tech section. Pretty sure it's hard/impossible to remedy with your current pump, so you can replace it with a used one - likely as not the have the same issue - or a new one. Beware poor-quality Chinese clones. Plug the hole with the correct pump plug and run premix is your other option.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

Thank you sir, I actually have 2 used oil pumps on hand so ill swap one in this weekend.
Ill have to check that wiki too.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

It would be cool if you changed out the oil pump before posting, my pump lasted 50,000 mi. of pure hard core riding, if it still smokes on a cold start then its the head gasket and the sym pump works fine at 1/3 the price just swap the shaft.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hi SpiderMike
I just picked up a 99 Elite SR that's been sitting for a few years.... After a few runs and lots of smoke it started to run good.
Good part is this is after sitting several years. Possibly if just ridden once a year, you'd be fine. Worst oil pump I had leaked enough in a month, it would fill the crankcase.

It looks like we need to create a 'wiki' oil pump topic, I'll work on that :oops:
Here's a link for a Gyro related failure which has oil pump info.