1986 Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

fantkev
Noob
Noob

1986 Spree

Post by fantkev »

My uncle gave me an '86 Honda Spree moped about 2 years ago. I rode it recreationaly, never taking it too seriously. It always worked very well and I have never mistreated it to this point. I may have to ride it for my transportation this summer and was hoping to have a few questions answered. It will start after about 20 or so kicks on the kickstart with multiple pulls on the throttle to put gas into the carburetor. That doesn't really bother me all that much, it would just be preferred if I could get it started quicker. How could I achieve this? Also, when I start it, it runs very unstably for about 5 minutes and will often die if I don't constantly give it gas. Does anyone know anything I could do to fix this? Also, I have never ran it to exactly top speed, but I predict that it will reach about 33 or 34 mph. The highest road speed limit around here is 40, so I need it to go preferably 5-8 mph faster. How could I do this? A final concern is the dead battery. I know it isn't necessary for the moped to run because of the alternator. Should I leave it in the moped or take it out? Should I buy a new one?

I need all the help I can get, so any comment or suggestion would help. Thanks.

fantkev
Okil69
Spree
Spree

Re: 1986 Spree

Post by Okil69 »

I would start by cleaning the carb throughly, changing plugs, etc. The whole "tune up" ordeal.
And the battery thing is completely up to you. The bike will always have a charge for your headlights, etc. I had a Honda Elite that ran fine with no battery.
2004 Vento Zip R3i Turbocam
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Yes all of the maintance needs to be done. Clean carb, check air box, new stock air filter, and set the idle air mixture and idle speed as per manual, that could likely be your immediate issue. Or the idle pilot circuit is clogged up in the carb.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

check the bystarter (electric choke) If you only have a cold start problem. But give the carb a good cleaning, theres a good tutorial in the wiki on carb cleaning, even a picture guide if needed.
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
fantkev
Noob
Noob

Post by fantkev »

Thank you guys. I will clean the carb as soon as possible. Are the plugs common or do I need to specially order them?
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

The NGK BPR6HS should be pretty easy to come by, here in my neck of the woods I can walk into any Canadian tire and buy packs of two for about 7$ I think they are now. Make sure you buy at least two.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock