1985 Honda spree giving me hassle

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Chewydbb1991
Noob
Noob

1985 Honda spree giving me hassle

Post by Chewydbb1991 »

It was workin fine as I rebuilt the motor know the pinion gear will not catch the gear to spin the wheel for the life of me lol it did before I put fresh gaskets in it any ideas?
Chewydbb1991
Noob
Noob

Re: 1985 Honda spree giving me hassle

Post by Chewydbb1991 »

I guess no takers
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

So the starter spins but it freewheels without turning the engine over?

Remove the belt cover again. Examine carefully the location of the outer sheave before unbolting it. Turn it by hand and see if it's "wobbly" on the shaft. It's frightfully easy to misalign that pulley on the crank splines. You would not be the first to have wailed on the pulley nut without having engaged the splines correctly. If it's sitting too far outboard on the end of the shaft, the Bendix teeth can't reach out far enough to engage those on the pulley. Make sure the crank splines aren't munched while the pulley's off.

If that's all OK, slide the Bendix out and see if its toothed ring pops all the way out with a clockwise twist. They don't often go bad, but they can.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Chewydbb1991
Noob
Noob

Post by Chewydbb1991 »

I get what your saying I should have said it spins the
Bendex gear but it only engages to the motor
By hand as if I have to force it on the gear
And when it's on there it kinda looks like its gettin pinched
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Then I suggest you take off the belt/front pulley and get an eye down there to see if there's some crud keeping the Pinion (Bendix) assembly from seating properly. The Bendix slides in AFTER the front pulley assembly is completed - at least on Elites it does. Check the cover too. Also, the gasket thickness dimension is semi-critical. Assembling the cover without one will squeeze the Bendix assembly so hard that the starter can't spin it. The Bendix gear should move easily back and forth with FingerTip pressure. It pops out to engage the outer pulley, then pops back in to get out of the way as the motor fires. If it's "catchy" or stiff, replace it.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

One more thing: I've read that Spree Bendixes came in two non-compatible flavors; like one with 13 teeth and the other with 14. They don't mix and match. If you use the incorrect one, it jams.
Wheelman-111
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Post by 87spree70superbee »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Then I suggest you take off the belt/front pulley and get an eye down there to see if there's some crud keeping the Pinion (Bendix) assembly from seating properly. The Bendix slides in AFTER the front pulley assembly is completed - at least on Elites it does. Check the cover too. Also, the gasket thickness dimension is semi-critical. Assembling the cover without one will squeeze the Bendix assembly so hard that the starter can't spin it. The Bendix gear should move easily back and forth with FingerTip pressure. It pops out to engage the outer pulley, then pops back in to get out of the way as the motor fires. If it's "catchy" or stiff, replace it.
Actually Wheelman, the Spree bendix assembly slides into the bushing before you do up the driver pulley. It's almost impossible to get it in with the pulley on. :-)
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Hi,

Your bendix assembly sounds like it's binding. If there was a good amount of belt dust in the cover, there could be some junk in the bendix. Use an air compressor to blow out the bendix. Expand it by hand, try and hit every spot you can. You can also try dropping a little oil onto the shaft by the spring, and also inside. Also, don't try and start it with the belt cover off. When you try it out, replace the belt cover and snugly replace at least two of the corner screws, especially by where the bendix sits in the case.

-Nick
Last edited by 87spree70superbee on Wed May 22, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I defer to my more-experienced colleague. Still if it isn't seated correctly, it might explain the non-engagement issue?
It's come up several times that a cover screwed down sans gasket causes the Bendix to bind.
Wheelman-111
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

I defer to my more-experienced colleague. Still if it isn't seated correctly, it might explain the non-engagement issue?
It's come up several times that a cover screwed down sans gasket causes the Bendix to bind.
This may be true, however I don't think the Sprees had a gasket on the belt cover until the kick starts came along, which was in 86. My 85 doesn't have a gasket and the starter works perfectly, but I'm not totally sure,maybes mine should have a gasket.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD