1986 honda Elite 150d Fuel sending unit

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

funyfarm
Noob
Noob

1986 honda Elite 150d Fuel sending unit

Post by funyfarm »

I have a 1986 elite 150 it is like New ( just bought recently ! Sat for 20 years 350km on it).I had to clean tank from rust etc. cleaned and re-coated it with special coating> running beautifull .When I took the sending unit
out of the tank and cleaned resistor and contacts, the contacts fell off so gauge doesn't work. tested the resistor and gauge works. Hard time finding a sending unit for This model: I have two questions 1. can a sending unit from another model work IE: 50cc -etc. it is a three wired unit ? I took the unit apart float , contact bracket etc. So if just used the contact bracket from a different unit if need be will it work that way ? I noticed many units that looked exactly the same , but not sure if float and float wire are the same size and length. I think I can change that part from my unit because the float is working on mine. I tried it on my unit and the float arm can be taken off the contact bracket and a new one can be installed. I just would like to get everything work as if it was new , Including the fuel tank sending unit? Maybe some might instruct me how to make new contacts for it. Any type of help would be much appreciated :
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 1986 honda Elite 150d Fuel sending unit

Post by mousewheels »

Some of the 50cc's senders are two wire. After about 1985, Honda changed most if not all to 3 wire. The sender's I have looked at definitely have variations in the float wire bends and lengths. Mechanically and electrically I don't know if the Elite is the same. if you dimensions or other measurements will help, I'll help with info.

Here's some pics, I have only a 2 wire sender handy, but the moving parts should be very similar.
Fuel_Sending_Unit.jpg
Fuel_Sending_Unit.jpg (70.55 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
funyfarm
Noob
Noob

Post by funyfarm »

My unit is different all together here are some pictures: Maybe they might help : If Ia can get a picture of the contacts it will help me to construct new contacts.
Attachments
resistor (works)sm.jpg
resistor (works)sm.jpg (29.68 KiB) Viewed 9257 times
contacts missing-1sm.jpg
contacts missing-1sm.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 9257 times
Complete unit ( three wires)sm.jpg
Complete unit ( three wires)sm.jpg (32.01 KiB) Viewed 9257 times
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

My unit is different all together here are some pictures: Maybe they might help : If Ia can get a picture of the contacts it will help me to construct new contacts.
The change from 2 wire to 3 wire sensor in our 50cc scooters was apparently a big change to internal construction. 1998 Elite SA50 looks similar to yours. Your idea to grab the contacts from a 50cc scooter looks good :thumbwink:

Contacts are redundant and independently sprung, pretty small work. if you make your own please post and teach us about the process.

Photo: 1998 Elite 50 fuel sender:
Fuel_Sending_Unit_Elite_SA50_1998.jpg
Fuel_Sending_Unit_Elite_SA50_1998.jpg (108.45 KiB) Viewed 9251 times

-- Electrical comparison --
Service Manuals show the 3 wire Elite SA50 sender resistances are close, but not exactly same as Elite150.
1985 Elite 150 was a 2 wire sender and resistances are close.
Attachments
Fuel_Sending_Unit_Elite_150.jpg
Fuel_Sending_Unit_Elite_150.jpg (201.06 KiB) Viewed 9251 times
funyfarm
Noob
Noob

Post by funyfarm »

"THANK LOADS!!" mousewheels: That gives me two options: Buy a 1998 elite 50 fuel sending unit or make new contacts:
I found the ideal material to make the contact ( Took the metal flap off a old floppy disc. very springy and right thickness: One thing I'd like to ask is : what is the width of the contact unit and where do the top contacts make contact on the reststor? I figured the middle contact goes to the bottom contact area and the rest go to the top contact area of the resistor. To get the float-arm and the piece that holds the contacts on you have to remove the small spring washer that holds the float arm on (Just get finger nails behind it gently pull and turn it) it then just slides off the shaft. to put back on , take small pliers and slight squeeze the spring washer so when you push it back on it will have again a tight grip. I was just wondering if you have the fuel sending unit free , can you take it apart and get me a clear picture of the contacts design and how it is mounted. If not I'll experiment until I figure it out. ( Got Lot of Old Floppy disks laying around !!!)
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

hay funyfarm are you in the state of insanity?
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
funyfarm
Noob
Noob

Post by funyfarm »

Swimmingfree: No I do not think and in the state of insanity, but I know I'm in the Province of insanity!!
My saying is " It's better to be insane and alive then It is to be sane and dead !! "
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

lol
it was a question that needed to be ask...... :smile:

swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

To get the float-arm and the piece that holds the contacts on you have to remove the small spring washer that holds the float arm on (Just get finger nails behind it gently pull and turn it) it then just slides off the shaft. to put back on , take small pliers and slight squeeze the spring washer so when you push it back on it will have again a tight grip.
Thought about a full teardown, but figured I'd damage or loose the press clip on the shaft. I took apart my running 1998 Elite to get the sender pic. It's all buttoned back up now :|

The contacts sweep as you expected. Before getting a look at the sender, I looked at your pic and made a sample of what needs to be connected, and a stab at a contact. It ended up being a mirror image. The mounted part should be on the left side.

Floppy disk covers are stainless steel, make sure there are no burrs on the contact surface. Burrs will likely cut through the conductors of the PCB.

BTW - The Elite 50 sender is the same part number from 1988 to 2001, 37800-GS7-671. New, its $60. You could put a posting in the Wanted/For Sale section for a used part.
Attachments
Fuel_Sending_Unit_Elite_150_resistor.jpg
Fuel_Sending_Unit_Elite_150_resistor.jpg (86.68 KiB) Viewed 9219 times
funyfarm
Noob
Noob

Post by funyfarm »

Thanks for all the help. I have seen many fuel sending units on e-bay etc. Most of the honda scooter units look the same. I am going to check if I can find the ohm readings on other models if they are close. If I can't
I might get the cheapest one that looks the same (specially the part the Brushes are on) and if it works excellent but if the ohm readers are off (the Resistor) I will dismantle it and just use the part I need, if the float and float arm are different I can replace it with mine ( the float come off quite easily ) I let you know How it works out.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

I just replaced my float on my 85 150d, ebay part that was NOS honda worked out good but it was 80$.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Also I bought a 85 150 non deluxe and the float in it looked brand new too, might be a really common problem.
DavidB
Goped
Goped

Post by DavidB »

funyfarm wrote:My unit is different all together here are some pictures: Maybe they might help : If Ia can get a picture of the contacts it will help me to construct new contacts.
Do you still want a photo of the wiping fingers for a 3 wire fuel tank sending unit? I took mine apart. My fingers are fine but the carbon on the printed circuit board has open circuits to it so it doesn't work. It is a 50cc Honda Flush, not for export, around 1983.
motormike

Post by motormike »

DavidB wrote:
funyfarm wrote:My unit is different all together here are some pictures: Maybe they might help : If Ia can get a picture of the contacts it will help me to construct new contacts.
Do you still want a photo of the wiping fingers for a 3 wire fuel tank sending unit? I took mine apart. My fingers are fine but the carbon on the printed circuit board has open circuits to it so it doesn't work. It is a 50cc Honda Flush, not for export, around 1983.
Hello DavidB... :hi:
Mr funyfarm has not posted anything since this thread in 2013, and likely will not reply, just saying... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
DavidB
Goped
Goped

Post by DavidB »

I'm going to try some silver epoxy on the open carbon track and will report back. From MGChemical. I'll see if it is compatible with gasoline.