1985 spree wont start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Moodatm
Goped
Goped

1985 spree wont start

Post by Moodatm »

Hi i have a 1985 honda spree and it wont fire at all. This all started when i was driving at about 30mph and the spree just died. I had a small exhaust leak and it melted my autobystarter. So i thought that was the problem. Replaced that, did nothing. Now my spree just turns over and wont fire.

I have good blue spark, it can reach about 1/2 an inch away.

It gets gas.

My compression was about 108 psi when i tested the other day.

I have just cleaned the carb a few times. My float works good and my mixture screw is to factory standards.

I had a guy tell me that the kill switch might be bad. I had an extra right handlebar assemaly and that didn't work. He said it was something small and its electrical. Thank you for the help. :)

Any help appreciated.
Moodatm
Goped
Goped

Re: 1985 spree wont start

Post by Moodatm »

milkhuman wrote:is flywheel got broken woodruff key

Ok, thank you i will go to ACE i heard that they have them. Thank you for the help. I will tell you if it works.
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

did you check compression after the problem or before?
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
Moodatm
Goped
Goped

Post by Moodatm »

dun rite wrote:did you check compression after the problem or before?
After the problem
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

change the plug, sometimes they will fire outside of the motor but not under compression. be sure the gap is correct. Also make sure the airbox is on tightly with no air leaks and the air filter is oiled.
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
Moodatm
Goped
Goped

Post by Moodatm »

dun rite wrote:change the plug, sometimes they will fire outside of the motor but not under compression. be sure the gap is correct. Also make sure the airbox is on tightly with no air leaks and the air filter is oiled.
My friend has a spree same year and everything. We tryed his plug and that didnt work still didnt fire, air box is on tight on mine.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Try, choking the intake tubes on the air box when you crank it over, the bystarter may not be functioning properly or the small hole in the float bowl that feeds the bystarter circuit is clogged. The flywheel key is a good place to look if nothing else works. That was a good idea.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Moodatm
Goped
Goped

Post by Moodatm »

patthesoundguy wrote:Try, choking the intake tubes on the air box when you crank it over, the bystarter may not be functioning properly or the small hole in the float bowl that feeds the bystarter circuit is clogged. The flywheel key is a good place to look if nothing else works. That was a good idea.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I have tried putting my hand over were the air filter to create a manual choke. We used an air compressor to clear all of the holes and such in the carb ( none were blocked from the beginning we were just makin shure ) i think it is probably something to do with the fly wheel or the woodruff key.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Check that compression again Exhaust leak can cause a lean condition. I suspect something in the bore.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Moodatm
Goped
Goped

Post by Moodatm »

martynkim wrote:Check that compression again Exhaust leak can cause a lean condition. I suspect something in the bore.
I have got a metal ring that fits over the end of the exhaust to make a tighter fit. It came with a bunch of parts i boughht in craigslist, i just have yet to put it on.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Moodatm wrote:
martynkim wrote:Check that compression again Exhaust leak can cause a lean condition. I suspect something in the bore.
I have got a metal ring that fits over the end of the exhaust to make a tighter fit. It came with a bunch of parts i boughht in craigslist, i just have yet to put it on.

Yes that ring needs to be on but, while it was off it can cause damage. As I said before check compression. What color is the plug that was in the bike when it stopped?
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
Moodatm
Goped
Goped

Post by Moodatm »

martynkim wrote:
Moodatm wrote:

Yes that ring needs to be on but, while it was off it can cause damage. As I said before check compression. What color is the plug that was in the bike when it stopped?
The plug was a dark brown. We cleaned it off with a wire brush. I know its not the plug because my friends spree runs and we tryed his plug in mine and it didnt work.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

I have got a metal ring that fits over the end of the exhaust to make a tighter fit. It came with a bunch of parts i boughht in craigslist, i just have yet to put it on.[/quote]

Yes that ring needs to be on but, while it was off it can cause damage. As I said before check compression. What color is the plug that was in the bike when it stopped?[/quote]

The plug was a dark brown. We cleaned it off with a wire brush. I know its not the plug because my friends spree runs and we tryed his plug in mine and it didnt work.[/quote]

The reason I asked the color was to see how it was running. It sounds rich, which makes no sense along the lines I was thinking. When you crank the engine, can you feel air escaping from the end of the pipe?
Moodatm
Goped
Goped

Post by Moodatm »

martynkim wrote:I have got a metal ring that fits over the end of the exhaust to make a tighter fit. It came with a bunch of parts i boughht in craigslist, i just have yet to put it on.

Yes that ring needs to be on but, while it was off it can cause damage. As I said before check compression. What color is the plug that was in the bike when it stopped?[/quote]

The plug was a dark brown. We cleaned it off with a wire brush. I know its not the plug because my friends spree runs and we tryed his plug in mine and it didnt work.[/quote]

The reason I asked the color was to see how it was running. It sounds rich, which makes no sense along the lines I was thinking. When you crank the engine, can you feel air escaping from the end of the pipe?[/quote]

It runs very rich. And yes when i crank the engin i CAN feel air coming out of the end of the muffler.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Try removing the muffler and see if it starts. If it does, shut it down.