Honda Aero 80 drop in top speed

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

patthesoundguy

Re: Honda Aero 80 drop in top speed

Post by patthesoundguy »

At least you have ruled the bystarter out as the issue, so you can find the problem :-) couldnt hurt to pull the carb as much pain as it is to do. Could be something clogging the jet or the carb inlet. Ive had stuff clogging above the seat on the fuel inlet side of the carb so fuel coulnt flow right into the carb.

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
nunnsie
BMX
BMX

Post by nunnsie »

Hi, thought I would share my experience with a similar issue. I got my 83 Aero 80 about 2 months ago with about 5400 miles on it. I ran really well and reached about 46mph at near full throttle before bogging at wot. I was pleased but wanted to pull the carb to clean it, check the belt, replace the rollers and all hoses. In addition I replaced the main jet with a #90.

After getting it all put back together it would not get past 33mph and bogged severely at more than 1/4 throttle. Convinced I might have a vac leak I replaced the donut seal in the air box, decarbonized the muffler and inspected the bystarter. All that and still no change. Then I found this posting and checking the variator and weights got my thinking. Maybe I installed them wrong as I went from roller weights to sliders. As it turns out they were not correctly positioned in the variator.

After getting the weights properly positioned and the variator reinstalled - success! I was pleasantly surprised because it felt so much like an engine problem. Woohoo! Hope this helps and thanks for the guidance.
-Riding is my prozac!

84 Gyro
83 Y Riva 180 (sold) | 86 Elite 150D (sold) | 83 Aero 80 (sold) | 86 Elite 150D (sold) | 87 Y Riva 80 (gifted) | 89 Y Riva 200 (sold) | 85 Spree (killed)
| 84 Aero 125 (sold) | 86 Elite 150D (sold)
Golden79
Noob
Noob

Post by Golden79 »

Hondafan, how did you make out with this issue, if you remember over 5 yrs later?
dr_rock
Noob
Noob

Post by dr_rock »

Golden 79, I'm pretty new here and new to my 1985 Aero 80 as well. I just bypassed the bystarter, cleaned out the tank, installed a new air filter, checked my belt (it was good luckily), and installed a fuel filter and new lines. My scoot gets up to speed a little faster now and still tops out at about 38-40mph on the built in speedometer. I think that is pretty solid. I just ordered a 90 main jet and maybe that will get my 230 lb self up to 42mph or so.
Golden79
Noob
Noob

Post by Golden79 »

Dr_rock, thanks for the reply! I also will be ordering a 90 main jet, please let me know how it works out for you!
hondafan
Goped
Goped

Post by hondafan »

Sorry about the late response...the belt was out of spec. There was some slight build up of rust on the back clutch which caused the belt to wear out prematurely. I cleaned it up and installed a new belt. Last one I had left, and it was back up to speed again. Does anyone know where to get replacement belts for the aero 80?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

hondafan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:07 pm Sorry about the late response...the belt was out of spec. There was some slight build up of rust on the back clutch which caused the belt to wear out prematurely. I cleaned it up and installed a new belt. Last one I had left, and it was back up to speed again. Does anyone know where to get replacement belts for the aero 80?
EDIT: Uh-oh! This one says it's not available? http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/198 ... embly.html This is for a 1985 only......
http://shop.jerseyshorepowersports.com/ ... fveh=14150
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861