Battery recommendation for spree used daily and kept outside

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Stevos
BMX
BMX

Battery recommendation for spree used daily and kept outside

Post by Stevos »

My son is taking the 86 spree to college. He will be keeping it parked outside. I assume as it gets colder it will be harder to start it. What is the battery recommendation for longer cranking power. Thanks in advance.
Dust-it
BMX
BMX

Re: Battery recommendation for spree used daily and kept out

Post by Dust-it »

Chinamart Ever Start ES4L-BS . I bought 4 batteries over a months time , this was by far a more robust starter battery than the others. Not a fan of the "Mart" but I was able to walk in and get one on the spot. It is a $40.00 bat.

Please double check that bat. number , not sure that is correct.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Sorry, no recommendation of battery.... :hi:
...but if this Spree is to be sitting out in weather north of the Mason-Dixon line,
I will be surprised if any battery survives without freezing.
The very best insurance you can provide for dependable starting is to keep it plugged up on a battery-tender.
Leaving a scooter on campus without having it secured with Kryptonite lock and surrounded by motion-sensor alarms
is an open invitation to thugs to steal it by first night-fall. Even that may not prevent theft.
I wish you all the best luck.... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

Theft aside (But that should be a concern for this very light scoot...
+2 Battery tender
Last edited by donut on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

If it's a 1986 it should have a kick starter and that will probably be the best way to start it in cold temps. Unless you are in Minnesota.....then good luck!! Have him keep it in his dorm :smile:
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

All the batteries that size are pretty much the same. The wally world ones only last a year or two and then they are trash. I'd invest in a kickstarter if you don't already have one, and making sure the bystarter is functional and the carb is very clean. If ridden daily, and reasonably maintained, the battery is not something to lose sleep over.
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

Agreed, the kickstarter is the best bet. I did not even have a battery on mine, most of the time. Battery tenders are nice. But if parked outside who knows if he will have an outlet for 110VAC for it.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

Take the Spree inside. A Spree only weighs about 80lbs and is easy to move around indoors. It's a lot safer than leaving it outside.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

My spree battery has lasted for at least 4 years and spent all of its winters in unheated garage and the battery is still going strong and would start the motor in the middle of winter, last Xmas eve it was a little below 0 F and it started fine. I just charge it up every so often just to make sure the battery is at its best. Its been rocking all summer, even with the big bore kit :-) I recommend a cover for that spree, so a battery tender can be hidden under it. Then it will always have juice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

patthesoundguy wrote:My spree battery has lasted for at least 4 years and spent all of its winters in unheated garage and the battery is still going strong and would start the motor in the middle of winter, last Xmas eve it was a little below 0 F and it started fine. I just charge it up every so often just to make sure the battery is at its best. Its been rocking all summer, even with the big bore kit :-) I recommend a cover for that spree, so a battery tender can be hidden under it. Then it will always have juice.

Hey Patthesoundguy!!
Sounds like fun taking a Xmas ride, I'm going to try it this year! Just curious...... Is the battery a AGM battery??
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Nope just a standard old lead acid battery, I've been lucky with it for sure ;-) a battery lasting that long is not likely normal

Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Avoid lead acid batteries for a campus bike, it will probably be on its side at some point. AGM with a reputable brand.

Most batteries will be fine with daily use, pull the battery and keep it inside for extended leave like winter break. Research what brands are available near the campus and what each warranty is. For example, walmart will give you a new battery on the spot with your old battery and original purchase receipt within the warranty period. Interstate requires "lab testing" before we can warranty a battery but we have far fewer problems with interstate batteries. Most auto parts stores will have their own store brand.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

I went looking for a ES4L-BS yesterday. I went to autozone and they had one for $65. So I walked out muttering about $65 being outrageous and went to Advance Auto. theirs was $25 with a $10 core charge but of course I had a junk battery to give them. So I ended up spending less than half of what autozone wanted.