install 85 motor into 87 spree frame?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

merf187
Noob
Noob

install 85 motor into 87 spree frame?

Post by merf187 »

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and need some help. I have a 87 spree that I swapped an 85 motor into. I installed the kick start from the 87 on the new motor. I started it and it ran for about 3 sec. And died. There was a burning smell after. I replaced the 85 pulsar with the 87 because I figured that was what burned up. Now I don't have any spark. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
merf187
Noob
Noob

Re: install 85 motor into 87 spree frame?

Post by merf187 »

Stupid question but do the 85 and 87 motors have the same spark plugs?
wite_rabit
BMX
BMX

Post by wite_rabit »

The heads are interchangeable as I understand it. How is your battery doing? What's a pulsar in this context, a spark plug? Did you inspect the engine prior to swapping? I'm a noob but I think these questions will be incoming - along with "What's the compression at WOT?"

Was your carb full of gas, with more in the tank and the vacuum operated petcock line attached? I hate running dead in the street only to look down and see it's popped off.
merf187
Noob
Noob

Post by merf187 »

Compression is good, everything is connected properly. The pulser is the electronic magnet that tells the spark plug when to fire. At least that's how I understand it. Its located on the bottom right side of the motor. The 85 motor has 2 wires and the 87 frame only has one. So I replaced the 85 with the 87 so it would match up.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

The 85 motor has 2 wires and the 87 frame only has one. So I replaced the 85 with the 87 so it would match up.
The extra wire on the 85 provides the ground connection. On the '87, it was simplified to integrate ground with the case, thus bolting it down provides the connection.

Thus if anyone's in a bind:
1) Use an '87 trigger on an '85 and just leave the harness green wire floating.
OR
2) On the '87, an '85 pulse trigger coil can be used, just bolt down the green wire to ground.
merf187
Noob
Noob

Post by merf187 »

Compression is good, everything is connected properly. The pulser is the electronic magnet that tells the spark plug when to fire. At least that's how I understand it. Its located on the bottom right side of the motor. The 85 motor has 2 wires and the 87 frame only has one. So I replaced the 85 with the 87 so it would match up.