Elite 50 HELP

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

JAKESTANK
Noob
Noob

Elite 50 HELP

Post by JAKESTANK »

Alright guys, I'm hoping you can all help with this issue.

I just picked up a 2000 honda Elite in pretty rough shape. It will run at 3/4 throttle but dies at full throttle everytime. I'm fairly confident it is running lean and not getting enough fuel. It also takes forever to start when cold.

This is what has been done to remedy the issue...

New carb
cleaned petcock. I even disconnected the fuel line and ran a funnel one handed down the road straight to the carb and it still died.
compression is at 110psi
I run AMSOIL dominator which is way overkill but rated very good for this engine.
cannot find any issues with the exhaust manifold and airbox has no holes.
has a new battery and a new plug was put in when the issue started.

HELP.
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Re: Elite 50 HELP

Post by alexfleury »

Air filter?
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

bystarter
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
JAKESTANK
Noob
Noob

Post by JAKESTANK »

THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE... No on the air filter. It is new as well. what I can say is that it is very difficult to start but once started it turns over ok. I have to kick start it to get the fuel going. I took the fairings off today and the engine shroud. After doing this I tightened down the head bolts jut in case as well as the metal intake manifold. again no difference. I also opened up the air box and put some cardboard in front of it to see if it was just sucking too much air this way. Again no fix. All the air box plug did was slow down the scooter. It eventually died out as usual.

Why would the starter have anything to do with it dieing at WOT?
JAKESTANK
Noob
Noob

Post by JAKESTANK »

Could it be reed valve issues?
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

did you clean the carb? what size is your jet?
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Thinking it is your bystarter.... tough starting when cold. It works by allowing more gas in at start hence the enrichment circuit. If it is locked in the closed position this could be part of your problem. Please confirm STOCK airbox tightly sealed to your carb with new oiled air filter.

I always have luck with these 50s. 1) clean the carb and ensure the piliot jet hole / circuit is clear. 2) new NGK plug. 2) fresh fuel and oil 3) new oiled air filter 4) confirmation of main jet needle setting (in the middle grove). 5) confirmation that bystarter is working.

With these items done - I have yet to find a honda 50 oil burner that would not come back to life and run like a top. Just my 2 cents.

Best of Luck.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

If the engine is bone stock it should not die, if the ramp restristor plate is off and the jet has not been changed the engine will die, tell us if any mods were made.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
JAKESTANK
Noob
Noob

Post by JAKESTANK »

thanks for the reply.. I will have to do some research on the bystarter.. never heard of it. Oil and gas are new and just incase I even mixed the tank gas with top amsoil dominator as well. it might take me a week or so now to get to but I will reply with what I find after I perform these details.
JAKESTANK
Noob
Noob

Post by JAKESTANK »

Also engine is bone stock with no known modifications.
JAKESTANK
Noob
Noob

Post by JAKESTANK »

just an update. The moped has no air leaks around carb to manifold, new oiled filter, carb is brand new with brand new bystarter. I did take the bystarter off just incase. I also threw another new spark plug in it and no change. still won't start. I pulled the gas line and it is getting a healthy flow of fuel.
no clue...
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Main jet size?
JAKESTANK
Noob
Noob

Post by JAKESTANK »

where would I find the main jet? I'm fairly familure with working on them I've changed jets on a rotax ski doo before. This carb looks a little different.

thanks
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

[quote="JAKESTANK"]where would I find the main jet? I'm fairly familure with working on them I've changed jets on a rotax ski doo before. This carb looks a little different.

thanks[/quot
When you say new carb, new from where? The main jets is in the same place as in the rotax carb, in the center, threaded into the emulsion tube. Remove the carb bowl to access it.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Does it surge, sputter, gradually die, or just cut out at once?
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.