Piston Ring help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Grandpa
Goped
Goped

Piston Ring help

Post by Grandpa »

I broke the old rings trying to put the cylinder back on so I bought more. The package has the two rings and a "wiggly" thing. The online (Babbits) diagram show the two rings and the "wiggly" thing all together but doesn't show where Mr. Wiggly goes. It appears as if it may go behind the bottom ring.

Can someone confirm this? Or where it does go if not in the bottom ring groove.

Thanks, Gramps.
bonesv

Re: Piston Ring help

Post by bonesv »

Which scooter is this on? Usually the bottom ring has the expander. It would go inside the bottom ring. Line up both the gap ends to align with the very small alignment pin in the ring grooves. Take a look at the manual. I believe one ring is thicker than the other and they have a very small mark on the "up" side of them. Again, look in the manual. It's here http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ce_Manuals You will want to hone that cylinder before you assemble it. Oil the rings well upon assembly, maybe run the motor very easy for a while until the rings "seat" properly. No wot. good luck with it.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Yes it does go under bottom ring
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Grandpa
Goped
Goped

Post by Grandpa »

Thanks to both of you. And a super thanks for the manual link. The manual shows a clear pic of what I need to do. Now to actually do it without breaking anything again...lol.

Gramps

Edit...Oops, I forgot to tell you the scooter. It's a 1985 Spree.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You may want to drop 10$ or 12$ on a piston ring install tool ;-) saves breaking rings :-)
as well as deglazing that cylinder which is a must do, take the piston and thoroughly clean the ring groves as well as take the piston in the sink and clean all the blow by carbon off it and clean the top of it with a steel wool soap pad (sos pad)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

You will need the vision of an eagle to see the stamped top of the rings. I have to used a magnifying glass with a light.
89 Elite E