86 Spree Throttle Issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Drifter562
Spree
Spree

86 Spree Throttle Issues

Post by Drifter562 »

Ok heres my first post i have an 86 spree with 6500+ miles on it it ran great until my wife took a shower curtain rod to and basically destroyed the right fender, blinkers and tailight (long story...) anyways my spree being the awsome machine that it is survived and starts up but when i hit the throttle and as soon as i aproach 20 it will bog out, but if i turn the throttle all the way it gets passed 20 but it sounds like its clogged because i hear the motor working harder than normal and it wont reach top which is 31-32mph it reaches 27- 28 and before i continue forcing it and risk blowing it up i'd like to hear some input i already took out the muffler and the carbon build up is norm took out the carburator and it actually looks in good shape i was suprised how clean it was being that i hadnt serviced since i bought it which was 3000 miles now it could also be the fact that ive never premixed i use premium gas and one time i had to go get gas and i didnt wash out the gas container i was using and i noticed a few tiny rocks in the gas so maybe it might be the petcock fuel valve who nows ill tear it down completely tomorrow.
patthesoundguy

Re: 86 Spree Throttle Issues

Post by patthesoundguy »

Two things to look at are the carb and intake, if the air filter is rotten it will be lean and inhaling the bits of filter. And with that many miles if they are on the original piston rings and cylinder, you most likley have a completely shiny bore that never run right. The cylinder walls must have a cross hatch pattern on them the give the oil a place to live between the piston/rings and cylinder walls.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Post by Drifter562 »

Well im going to take the intake off but whats also wierd is that the air filter itself is in pretty good shape almost brand new except for a corner oil stain but i noticed that at night before the issue happened i would start the spree it would take a few kicks but it would bog out until i got it warmed up but ran even better than during the day and in the day it ran great but not as awesome as in the night in the day in las vegas we have 90+ up 100+ weather but in the night mid to high 70's or 80's
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

cooler air is more dense than warm air. So if your bike runs better in cold air that means it is on the rich side in the warmer air and the cool air brings it closer to a proper mix. My guess is that you are having a bystarter issue...
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

A little premix in your can won't muck it up like that, and you don't need to use premium gas either, its a waste nor would using some premium or regular change anything that much. And there is a screen in the tank to catch larger debris. I would drain both the oil tank and the fuel tank and clean their screens. After all those miles they both should be cleaned. Go grab the manual and do the vacuum bystarter test on the carb. You can use an ear syringe to do the test if you don't have access to a vacuum tester.

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Post by Drifter562 »

oK so for today i got the carb disassembled its amazing how clean it is for not being serviced in 3000 miles but i feel like my premium gas had something to do with that but i still cleaned it out using carb cleaner tomorrow ill take apart the gas tank and fuel petcock but i have a feeling there is something clogging it but thanks guys for the input
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Post by Drifter562 »

the only reason i use premium gas is because i noticed that my SPREE has even more pep than when i use regular try it i guarantee it its not much but you'll feel it im also going to try premixing it wouldnt hurt
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Premium gas won't do much to make the carb any cleaner , just riding will tend to keep gum and varnish from building up. And premium gas will not keep actual dirt from getting in the system, don't be fooled by the bull that the oil companies feed us. Its really hard to test whether you get more pep out of premium gas or not. Unless you have a really large carbon build up in the combustion chamber causing detonation the premium high octane fuel shouldnt give you any more pep out of the motor. Boosting octane does not add torque, its what the oil companies want you to think though.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I think if you pull the head you will find a worn out bore. Does the motor have a harder time with take off the longer the ride. And have a harder time getting to top speed?

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Post by Drifter562 »

I agree down with exxon and down with mobil haha but it actaully does but there is a down side to it higher octane of course burns faster so you trade mpg for pep use good gas from chevron or shell i preferably mix premium gas with a little regular call it american ingenuity you want to hear a funny story my mom worked at chevron for about 2-3 yrs and she said the same thing she even said to make it last longer they would "Splash" the gas with other gas like when premuim would get low they would put reguler in it to make it last call it american ingenuity haha but it does help keep it clean like u stated not make it clean and i think ur dead on about the bore because i Hear the engine working harder and since the issue occured you can actually feel it like if its clogged call me the scooter whisperer
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Post by Drifter562 »

Oh and thanks patt it expieriences the symptoms that you mentioned what would i do without you probably get a clue haha but really thanks bro i just havent had time to really tinker with it yet and im still learning basics so appreciate the help but the oil i use is Valvoline with TCw3 the blue bottle i also heard not to use synthetic because of some reason i cant remember right now
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Ive used synthetic 2stroke in my spree for years, it helped my worn out bore work better. Its not like a worn out 4stroke that could leak like crazy with synthetic oil

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Post by Drifter562 »

alright i got the gas tank disassembled and checked the screen its pretty clean i also did the oil tank pretty clean i definitely need to change my hoses,looked at the bore it has carbon build up and looks pretty worn is there any way to reuse a cylinder
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Drifter562 wrote:alright i got the gas tank disassembled and checked the screen its pretty clean i also did the oil tank pretty clean i definitely need to change my hoses,looked at the bore it has carbon build up and looks pretty worn is there any way to reuse a cylinder
You can reuse the old cylinder if its not too messed up. You need to get new piston and rings from taz on eBay. He has a a couple different options. Piston and ring kit with new pin and circlips with head gasket and base gasket. And he also has the whole thing new cylinder included. To reuse the old cylinder you need to deglaze it which is pretty easy. But if you have the extra cash I'd go for the new cylinder and you can be sure the cylinder is in spec and ready to oil up bolt on and break it in and start smiling when you twist the grip ;-) make sure what ever kit you install you buy a new bearing for in the end of the connecting rod that the piston pin goes through.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock