Dio AF18E questions.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

shtonkalot
Noob
Noob

Dio AF18E questions.

Post by shtonkalot »

Hi all, First time scooter owner here.

I just bought a Honda Dio with the AF18E engine. It has been modified into a stand up scooter and I plan to further modify it for off road use. I'd love to get some torque at the bottom end, this needs a push to get started up a hill.
I have a few questions about it I hope you can help out with.

How do I get more torque? I imagine it has the lowest reduction gearing available for the Dio as stock. I'm completely new to CVTs, is this something I can help by replacing the variator, or the roller weights? I'm not sure how much difference a clutch can make either?

I need to refill the front shocks with oil, any recommendations for which oil?

The engine is pretty old and I was planning a rebuild. I'm considering getting an 80cc big bore head kit. Can anyone give me any recommendations or advice about the head kits they use?

My Dio needs a new carb, it did not come with the original honda one but with something else (only markings are the letters "SLC"). It is missing a screw in needle and leaking quite badly.
I have read here and on a few sites about others recommending the OKO carbs. I've heard recommendations between 24-28mm for size.
Can anyone with experience of these carbs please let me know which one in particular is suited for the AF18E? A link to a specific model would be great.

I have noticed on the OKO carbs I looked at that they appear to just have a tube to attach to the intake manifold. I still have the original screw on carb manifold, how do others attach these carbs?

Any other comments or suggestions are most welcome.
Here is a pic:
bonesv

Re: Dio AF18E questions.

Post by bonesv »

Do you ride that standing up??? I notice in the picture that the fan shroud is missing. Does it run ok after a long ride? Also, where is the fuel tank? That is a neat set up though, I kinda like the concept.
Read up on those modifications you are asking about, right here on the forum by using the "search" feature. G'day!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Stock carb with stock air box for more bottom end torque.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
shtonkalot
Noob
Noob

Post by shtonkalot »

bonesv wrote:Do you ride that standing up???
Yep! It needs the handlebars raised and the throttle replaced with a lever to be nice to ride that way though.
I notice in the picture that the fan shroud is missing. Does it run ok after a long ride?
Do you mean the plastic fan shroud on the (unpictured) exhaust side? It's still there, the guy that owned it made his own cover on the pictured side and it is missing the kick starter. It seems to run fine until it's out of fuel ;) There are some vents in the back of the "step" that allow air to move straight over the engine head.
Also, where is the fuel tank?[on the exhaust side behind some custom aluminium fairing running in line with the back of the scoot. I'll get some pictures soon.
Read up on those modifications you are asking about, right here on the forum by using the "search" feature. G'day!
I've definitely been trying to search for the answers but haven't come up with them. If you have any threads in mind I'd appreciate some links.
eliteguy50 wrote:Stock carb with stock air box for more bottom end torque.
I have neither of these. Old Dios are hard to come by around here too.
I have the pdf service manual but it isn't text searchable and I couldn't find part numbers for those pieces.

I have found a local seller with the OKO 24mm carbs and adapters to fit them. EVERY post I had read recommending a carb for the AF18E has suggested the OKO (or a keihin equivalent). Is there no way to set up the OKO to achieve at least the same torque as stock?

Thank you both for your help.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

if you put in litter rollers it will stay in a lower gear longer ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

The same torque as stock? Yes. The same torque as stock at as low of RPM? Not as well. A BBK would be able to, stay away from race kits, look more at street or sport kits.

Most of us run oko carbs when we want more top rpm power, not down low torque. The OKOs range mostly 71-100% bigger than stock.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
shtonkalot
Noob
Noob

Post by shtonkalot »

Thanks for the responses guys.
I'm having trouble with the spam filter so please excuse the lack of quotes.

swimmingfree, thanks for the suggestion. Can you suggest a weight or is it something that needs to be played around with? Is a different variator of any use to me?

eliteguy50, Thanks again for your help. I have been unable to source any more original parts yet, I will continue the search. I ended up buying an OKO 24mm today just to get it running, came with a big foam air filter. It starts straight away now and sounds throatier than before. t now idles properly too. I haven't been able to take it for a ride yet but will see how it goes tomorrow.

Today I also changed over the throttle from the original twist to a short lever. I far prefer the lever throttle when standing up on a scooter.
I also changed the tires to off-road knobbys and bought some oil for the suspension. Changed the incandescent bulb in the tail light to a small cluster of red LEDs too.

Apologies for the lack of pictures, I'll do my best to find a camera and take some tomorrow.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

shtonkalot wrote: swimmingfree, thanks for the suggestion. Can you suggest a weight or is it something that needs to be played around with? Is a different variator of any use to me?
yes it some thing you need to play with .. pull the old ones and find out what thay way and a guess wood be 6 grams litter then what you have now... but its a guess ....
different variator will give you more top speed not tork ...
what is your top speed now??
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

them shocks dont have oil in them .They are just spring loaded
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
shtonkalot
Noob
Noob

Post by shtonkalot »

swimmingfree wrote:yes it some thing you need to play with .. pull the old ones and find out what thay way and a guess wood be 6 grams litter then what you have now... but its a guess ....
different variator will give you more top speed not tork ...
what is your top speed now??
swimmingfree
Thanks again SF! I will buy some weights and have a play. It seems all the after market parts will reduce my torque down low and give me more up top.
Top speed last time I rode it was 65 KMph on the flat. Going to give it a run today with the new carby and tires and see what's different.
paulpauly7 wrote:them shocks dont have oil in them .They are just spring loaded
Cheers PP7, I missed that. Below the picture of the disassembly in the service manual it mentions oil leaking from shocker but it's talking about the rear suspension.
Guess I need some new springs then.

Does anyone have a link to somewhere with springs for that suspension?