Honda spree starter VIDEO

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Moodatm
Goped
Goped

Honda spree starter VIDEO

Post by Moodatm »

Hi i am having trouble with my spree startor getting stuck "engaged". Ypu will see what i mean in the video. Thank you a head of time for any help :) http://youtu.be/fIRPTUBBWaE
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Re: Honda spree starter VIDEO

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Hard to say. Sometimes the inner spring in the electric starter clutch can rust out and break. That will keep it from returning, but I don't think that is what is happening in your case. Since the problem began when you put a new belt on, I would suggest you check for 2 things.

1. The belt could be the wrong belt and the extra width may prevent you from properly securing the starter gear, which would make your electric starter clutch engage farther out than it´╗┐ is designed to return from.

2. Perhaps you simply didn't mount the starter gear correctly and in that case you should check to be sure. If you need help with installation methods, I´╗┐ can probably upload one for you or at least find a worthy demonstration.
-Also note that the starter gear you have on there in the video is in fact a '86+ starter gear and not an '84-85. You can tell because there is a circle of notches surrounding the 10mm nut where the kickstart would engage the gear. Converting should work fine. http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... 4/85_Spree
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Pull the left side cover off, pull the drive pulley and yank the starter Bendix out and clean it up and service it. That's an 84 or 85 so the electric starter is pretty darn important obviously ;-) those things get gummed up with belt junk. A good time to check the belt with and replace it if its too narrow. Brake cleaner will help clean the Bendix make it move freely. Clean each end of it when it spins in the case with a little emery cloth or wire brush ,then put a little grease in each of the two bushing holes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Moodatm
Goped
Goped

Post by Moodatm »

Funny you mention the starter gear. It was originaly a smooth gear ( no bumps for kick start. ) I put it on there because I knew my original gear would not work. When I went to place the new cover ( kick start assembaly ) the starters were in diffrent positions not allowing the plate to line up! So thats why I have the 86 gear on there. If you like I can show how I set the starter gear in and set every thing up. Not a problem I would just have to do it after school tomorrow. And I can show why my 86 starter wont work. --------- also I used our air compressor to blow some gunk out of it today before making the video.
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Not sure if this helps but I kept my 85 starter bendix when doing this conversion and it works great. Also the DIY on wikispree doesn't say to use the 86 bendix either.. I'm sure the bendix should be cleaned, but from what I saw on your video, it looks more like its binding on your new 86 starter gear.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Numerous posts going way back mention that the Bendixes (Bendices?) from some years don't play nice with the outer pulley sheaves of other years. Match the parts for model year.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Moodatm
Goped
Goped

Post by Moodatm »

I still have my 85 bendix in there. I never changed it. I only changed my starting gear. And I have used the current gear for months ( sence may when I got the spree and all of the extra parts ) and have had no problems untill the belt change.
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Moodatm wrote:Funny you mention the starter gear. It was originaly a smooth gear ( no bumps for kick start. ) I put it on there because I knew my original gear would not work. When I went to place the new cover ( kick start assembaly ) the starters were in diffrent positions not allowing the plate to line up! So thats why I have the 86 gear on there. If you like I can show how I set the starter gear in and set every thing up. Not a problem I would just have to do it after school tomorrow. And I can show why my 86 starter wont work. --------- also I used our air compressor to blow some gunk out of it today before making the video.
Sorry about the late response. I have been quite busy with my recent Honda Aero 80 purchase. Anyway, at this point I would suggest you try a different starter gear and/or a different clutch for the electric start and see if maybe the current ones were just built up with too much corrosion to smoothly disengage. I might have a better suggestion at a later time but for now that is all I can think to try. Maybe a cleaning and a small amount of grease will do if you don't have duplicates of those parts?

EDIT: I think wheelman is suggesting that your '85 electric starter clutch and the '86 starter gear don't tend to work nicely together. Maybe the combination is easily influenced by rust or corrosion. Just a thought.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
Moodatm
Goped
Goped

Post by Moodatm »

Then I have to buy one off ebay haha. Who knows. Maybe that will work. But with more than $300 in new parts into the spree. ( bought the spree for $300 ) not really looking to put much more money into it haha.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

The gear on the end of that Bendix looked a little rough, maybe round of the ends of all the teeth where the face you. Any burrs there and it won't retract

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Moodatm
Goped
Goped

Post by Moodatm »

Ill be sure to get rid of any burs that might be there!