SO frustrated!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ewpickel90
Noob
Noob

SO frustrated!!

Post by ewpickel90 »

Ok, I own a red 86 honda spree. Ive had it for about 10 years now, and just recently pulled it out of the building to ride it again. When i first got it 10 years ago, i remember doing 30-35 mph on it. Then not long after owning it, it slowed down to about 20-25 mph. Its been so long ago and i was a lot younger and i cant remember the events leading to this problem. Well long story short, i turned 16 and got a car and kinda forgot about the little scooter. Now that ive decided to fix it and ride it, ive ran into some problems. after all these years, it fired right up on the third or fourth kick, but its top speed was 25 downhill and 15 uphill. it didnt matter how big the hill was, it would only do 15 up any hill even small ones. I dropped it off at a local motorcycle shop to get it fixed and just tuned up. They called me a week later and told me it was done and everything was running and that the problem was that the oil hose had come unhooked and oil was leaking down onto the belt causing it to slip. I was charged 50 bucks for labor and a can of break cleaner they used. i get it home and i cant notice any changes to the thing. So i start reading up on possible problems and the first thing i checked was the exhaust. well, this eventually led to me sawing the muffler completely off, but only because i have an extra muffler thats on a parts spree. Doing this didnt help at all, so i cleaned the carb several times and still nothing. It didnt have an air filter so i ordered a new honda airfilter that came pre oiled. This did nothing but slow it down a tad more. Ive ran it with out the air filter to see if it was a problem with the main jet being to small but no luck. Ive cleaned the main jet and the other piece, not sure what the name of it is, that the main jet sits on top of. Its a tube with holes in the sides of it. It was pretty dirty and the holes were all clogged up. I read about the emulsion tube or whatever its called and i cleaned it also. I can hold it up and put a finger over the main jet and shine a flashlight down the tube and can see a small speck of light coming from the hole on the other side. Ive cleaned everything that can be cleaned in the carb and still no changes. Ive bought a new plug and checked for air leaks around the carb and there are none. So as of right now, the carb is cleaned and put back on, and there are no leaks around it. The exhaust pipe stops right at the tire and is just a straight pipe coming from the motor. The air filter is oiled and in place with the lid on it and the screw on top of the lid tightened. There is no gasket on the air box lid. The number stamped on the side of the main jet is #65, and ive already went ahead and ordered a #68 because thats what ive read goes in it. It wont even go over 15 mph now, and it makes a loud popping noise until i start up a hill or put a load on the motor, then it makes the familiar zinnnnnnnng noise until it reaches 15 mph. After it reaches 15 mph it starts popping again and wont go any faster, also its lost all its power and wont even pull me up my driveway anymore, and i remember zipping right up it into the carport. I have the other exhaust i can put on it if thats the problem, but it was stopped completey up, and after heating it with a torch and banging it around and blowing compressed air through it i can now blow through. The exhaust that i sawed off could be blowed through a LOT easier before i ruined it. I am new to this site and new to working on scooters really. Can anyone help me? I know ive probably left a lot of stuff out, but ill answer any and all questions. I just want the scooter i had as a kid back. So just fire away with the questions, because im so ready to get this thing up and running again. Thank you.
hondafan
Goped
Goped

Re: SO frustrated!!

Post by hondafan »

You have a worn belt and rollers. Change them you will see a difference. Also, you need to run with an air filter and gaskets. Without them you will run lean and ruin the engine eventually.
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

Don't own a spree but don't think they have rollers. Probably needs a new belt, (check against specs in the manual) really needs the airfilter and assy correctly installed nice and tight. intact, also the muffler, really needs the back pressure and turbulence. Running without either of those is a disaster waiting to happen.
Would be a good idea to do a compression check, should be over a 100 psi but would run with 90 psi.

Manual is available here: Image
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

oil in the belt dril area may have also ruined the crutch pads. Also, take a little time to learn about the function of the exhaust on a 2 stroke... it is a lot different than on a 4 stroke. cutting off the exhaust can also cause lean condition and burn up your motor. a quick google came up with this http://www.atvriders.com/articles/twostroke.html
ewpickel90
Noob
Noob

Post by ewpickel90 »

I have another spree exhaust handy, but it's stopped up with carbon. I was thinking of going the lye route, any tips for doing this? The guy at the shop said that the belt was still in good condition and so was everything inside the case. I can see why the exhaust would cause this problem, but the original exhaust wasn't stopped up and I still had this problem. It's just running like crap and won't stop four stroking, even on the stand. The only time it acts like it wants to run right is at takeoff. It runs horrible until I put a load on the motor and then it sounds like it wants to run and does until I reach 15mph. Is all this trouble just from the exhaust and air box lid missing a gasket?
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

did not read you top post ... what is the plug gap at??? what color is the plug ????
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
ewpickel90
Noob
Noob

Post by ewpickel90 »

Can't remember what the plug gap is at, but I did check it a month ago after researching the right gap. When I did a plug chop it was a lighter brown color. I haven't checked this since I've made changes to the scooter, so I'll do that again and post it on here. What gap should the plug be at? I'm also gonna build a fire today and try and unstop the spare exhaust, and I'm gonna try and make a gasket for the air box lid with silicone.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

a good gape is 25... when you pull the pipe look in the export to see if its full of carbon as well .... when you do the pipe dont cool it off with water it will warp out of shape...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
ewpickel90
Noob
Noob

Post by ewpickel90 »

the airbox has a gasket and is on tight. The muffler is back on and unclogged, and the exhaust port isnt stopped up. The belt and everything is still in good condition, but the scooter still wont go over 15mph and putting the muffler back on has made it lose even more power. Now it wont even pull me up any hill. I dont have anything to check the compression with other than my finger and it blows my finger off while cranking the motor. Oh and the plug is gapped at 25.
hondafan
Goped
Goped

Post by hondafan »

Are you sure the belt is still in spec? If it lost a few mm it will make you lose top end. Take the belt cover off and make sure everything is working properly as it should. Also is the engine performing well? Are you getting bogging or sputtering? Are there any symptoms besides top end loss? If not it sounds like your belt is worn.
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

apparently you can borrow a comp. tester from most auto parts stores with a refundable deposit.

the width of the drive belt according to the manual is 11.5mm 0.45in service limit listed at 10.5mm 0.41 in.
also if your belt is original even if it's within spec it could still be slipping due to glazed side surfaces.
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Bystarter stuck in start position maybe? Is there any possibility the pipe is from an Iowa spree? If the carb had a 65 jet that would be likely. Check every thing start at the tank and check the screen. Is the fuel fresh. Carb connections all good? How is the compression? New plug? Gapped to .025 as Swimming free pointed out. Is the screen in the oil tank clean, is it getting oil to the intake. You may want to pull the head and take a look at what the cylinder looks like after the compression test.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

I would go back and look at the exhaust port. It doesn't take much carbon to severely limit engine performance.
89 Elite E