Rear Transmission Cover Problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bfowler
Elite
Elite

Rear Transmission Cover Problems

Post by bfowler »

Well I went and got my new 8.44 gears pressed on and I am having some trouble installing them. The rear transmission cover isn't able to seat fully and it seems as if someone is blocking it from going all the way down. There's some pictures below so hopefully you guys can help me determine what's wrong. I included some pictures with description just to make everything more clear. I noticed that #7 (final shaft) is sitting a bit higher than #5 (counter shaft). Due to that, #11 (thrust washer) wasn't able to be seated properly. Due to that, I placed the metal washer in the rear and the plastic washer up front. So for clarification I have washer #9 as the metal washer and washer #11 as the plastic washer. From a first glance, I was guessing that maybe the guy at the shop didn't press the gear on the final shaft down far enough which was causing issues. But I looked and I don't see how that would be possible. Seems like its seated all the way down. This is the last puzzle to my build before I can get the engine put back onto the frame so I really want to get this settled. Thanks guys. I can take extra pictures of explain things in more detail to help clarify if need be. Thank you!
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Rear Transmission Cover Problems

Post by LMH »

Take out one washer at a time and try to re tighten it will let you know where it's hung up at.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

LoveMyHonda wrote:Take out one washer at a time and try to re tighten it will let you know where it's hung up at.
I don't think it has anything to do with the counter shaft. I took it out and tried to install the cover with only the final shaft in and it won't go. Just can't figure out what's wrong with the final shaft.
Downsouthdio
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Downsouthdio »

I think theres is just those 2 washers 1 being plastic..try n turn that gear the clutch goes on (easily) back n forth (left to right) while easily pushing to fit it flush..sometimes it'll bind up..just giving my 2 cents :thumbwink: goodluck and take ur time..! You havent changed the gear cover for that motor right?
Honda super dio
Corsa
26mm
Sparrow
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Same gear cover. And rotating didn't work, thanks though downsouthdio. My only guess is that the bearing where the final shaft inserts into is somehow not pressed all the way in. Not too sure how that would happen. Perhaps it came unseated when the case was in the oven. When I look at the bearing it looks like it's all the way in though. Doesn't look like there's any room for it to go in further when I look at it from where the rear brake is.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Is the gear pressed all the way on the axle? Have you changed any bearings that might not be seated all the way? What brand of secondaries are they?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Seems as if the gear is pressed all the way on. When I insert it into the transmission cover it sits fully in there. So I'm pretty sure it's all the way on. Honestly now that I think more about it, the only thing it could be is the bearing not being seated all the way down in the case. I just can't figure out how that would happen unless it somehow unseated when the case was in the oven so I could get the crank bearings in. And I don't want to have to replace it because then id have to order all new bearings and seals for the third time. Since id need to heat up the case to get the bearing in. Meaning id have to split the case again, all new crank bearings, oil seals, and a new bearing and oil seal for the final shaft ):
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

remove all the gears does it seat then? check the dell holes arnt gummed up and that the dells line up .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Cover seats when I remove the counter shaft and final shaft. Also seats when I have the counter shaft in but remove the final shaft. Basically seats in every situation as long as the final shaft isn't in. All signs pointing me to final shaft.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

yip sounds like it to me
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Anyway to check if the bearing is fully seated that the final shaft inserts into? Just from a visual check it looks like the bearing is all the way in. It's the only thing I can think of causing this problem. I think the final shaft isn't being inserted fully into the case causing it to prevent the gear cover from seating. Just so people aren't confused since I know it can be hard to grasp, bearing I'm referring to is number 17 in the picture above.
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

I usually just find a socket with the same diameter as the outer edge of the bearing, lay the cover flat and place socket directly over the bearing (so the socket is only applying pressure to the outer ring of the bearing, and then tap on it with a hammer. Shouldn't take much force as long as it's (the bearing) not in a bind, then you might have to tap it a little harder. As long as the socket is only pressing on the outer ring of the bearing you won't hurt it.

Also (I would think) you should be able to pull that seal out and see if there is a gap between the case and the bearing.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

I guess my next question is how can I remove the seal without damaging it so I can reuse it? Want to give the bearing a couple taps to make sure it's fully seated.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

put the shaft in and tap the end of the shaft
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

paulpauly7 wrote:put the shaft in and tap the end of the shaft
Hey Pauly not sure what you mean by that. Could you explain? Thanks.