86 Spree Bystarter

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

btosi
Goped
Goped

86 Spree Bystarter

Post by btosi »

Hi all,

I have an 86 Spree that starts hard cold, once started and warmed up if starts and runs great the whole day. I have cleaned the carburetor thoroughly, checked jet size, new air filter, oiled properly. The one thing was when I got it, it was missing the bystarter. I was able to get one from a 94 Elite. This bystarter does extend when voltage is applied. My question is, is an Elite bystarter interchangeable with the Spree. I was not able to find the Honda part number for just the bystarter, only the complete assembly with cover and o-ring (16046-GK8-673).I have looked on E-bay and seen cheap ones, will they work, are they any good? One more question, should there be an o-ring in the end of the round post that sticks out of the bystarter for the spree(like the picture shows). The one I have from the Elite does not have it, some of the cheap ones on Ebay have an o-ring. Thanks
Attachments
bystarter.jpg
bystarter.jpg (4.35 KiB) Viewed 5278 times
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 86 Spree Bystarter

Post by mousewheels »

>> My question is, is an Elite bystarter interchangeable with the Spree.

We have the Aero 50 and 94-up Bystarter cold measurement on the 'wiki. Link here

I think the Spree and Aero were the same except for cable length and connector ends for some models.

>> I have looked on E-bay and seen cheap ones, will they work, are they any good?
I have no recent experience, years ago the one I got did not work well. It extended and retracted ok, but the needle taper was different. IRC warm up was on the too rich side, but its been awhile...

>> One more question, should there be an o-ring in the end of the round post that sticks out of the bystarter for the spree(
I have not seen OEM bystarters have an o-ring there.
OEM_Bystarter_has_no_o_ring_at needle_to_air_valve.JPG
OEM_Bystarter_has_no_o_ring_at needle_to_air_valve.JPG (19.51 KiB) Viewed 5271 times
btosi
Goped
Goped

Post by btosi »

Spree is still starting hard. I did by accident have the bystarter loose and partialy removed out of its' bore in the carburetor. The scooter started right up??? Does anyone know why this happened? I retested the bystarter and it extended when power was added. I replaced the bystarter and the next day, it would not start, took off the bystarter bracket and pulled up the bystarter slightly and the scooter started right up. Again this bystarter is from a 94 Elite. I compared the measurements to the link page and they match. But that states it is for an Elite and Aero, would the lengths be the same for a spree?
motormike

Post by motormike »

I don't have the answer you seek, but it would seem
that by your own testing, and the results achieved, the bystarter you have in place is
probably a tiny bit longer than the correct bystarter for Spree... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

motormike wrote:I don't have the answer you seek, but it would seem
that by your own testing, and the results achieved, the bystarter you have in place is
probably a tiny bit longer than the correct bystarter for Spree... :urban:
Hello
If your bystarter is too long, try unscrewing the two black case parts a little at a time. That will shorten the length of the brass parts. But before you try adjusting the bystarter, measure the distance between the base where the bystarter sits in the carb and the top of the brass tube in the carb (a cheap vermeer caliper works great). Measure the cold length of your bystarter (brass cylinder part, not needle). Compare the two measurements to determine if it's too long. Keep in mind that a bystarter will expand 1/8" to 3/16" when 12 volts are applied. Hope this helps.
btosi
Goped
Goped

Post by btosi »

Thanks, I will do a measurement and adjust as needed. Would anyone have a dimension of what the post sticks out of the base of the bystarter for a Spree? Thanks again
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

do some searchs thru wikispreedia
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
btosi
Goped
Goped

Post by btosi »

I did look at wikispreedia and could only find the length for Elite and Aero. Is this the same for the Spree? If anyone has a bystarter off of a Spree and could take that measurement that would help alot.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

How much to you need to lift the bystarter to get the scooter to start?
Is too little fuel is getting in or too much?

--
Gyro folks have been using Spree, Aero and other AF05 bystarters as replacements for years.
That is why I think Spree/Aero bystarters are same enough to work.

The 'wiki measurement for Elite confirmed the AF16 version (93-01) was equivalent.
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

d***...it's COLD in Minnesota!! Anyway, I have 3 bystarters on the bench that I've been putzing with and the measurement on all of them (from base of bystarter to tip of needle) is about 11/16". With temps well below zero the last 4 days, I haven't had a chance to get into the "cold" part of the garage to check the others that are on carbs and working fine (when it was warm), but I'm pretty sure that they will be close. If there is a big difference, I'll post.
btosi
Goped
Goped

Post by btosi »

Otto-man thanks for the info. Would you happen to have the measurement from the base, to the end of the barrel? The "X" dimension.
Attachments
Bystarter_AF16_AF05_Comparison.jpg
Bystarter_AF16_AF05_Comparison.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

btosi wrote:Otto-man thanks for the info. Would you happen to have the measurement from the base, to the end of the barrel? The "X" dimension.
X= about 3/8". This is close and I will update when warmer weather allows outdoor activity :eyeroll: