1985 Spree CDI Testing & Replacement

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

The Ancient Mariner
Noob
Noob

1985 Spree CDI Testing & Replacement

Post by The Ancient Mariner »

Hello.

The manual says nothing about how to test the CDI- all it walks you through is testing what goes into the CDI.

I found this testing sheet for my MB5's CDI- http://www.brommerforum.nl/kb/artikel/48/ does anybody have a testing sheet to tell if the CDI itself is bad for the spree?

And, where can I source a new CDI box? I'm sketched out by CDI's on sale for $17 on Ebay. Where can I get an original one, or a high quality aftermarket one? Treats has a selection of peitcard CDI's... http://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.a ... rd+cdi+box SoI emailed treats and they said they're not sure which one would work on a spree. Help anybody?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 1985 Spree CDI Testing & Replacement

Post by mousewheels »

Honda left out CDI parametric measurements in some model's service manuals. I checked Spree's younger sibling the SB50 Elite E, and found no measurements either. The 1985 Aero 50 has these measurements:
Aero_50_CDI_resistance_test.JPG
Aero_50_CDI_resistance_test.JPG (56.7 KiB) Viewed 10797 times
The Ancient Mariner
Noob
Noob

Thanks for posting. Its worth a shot, I'll test my stock CDI out on Sat when I get back to the shop.

In the meantime, where does one go to purchase a new quality CDI for these beautiful little scooters?
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

I have never found a Spree CDI box or ignition coil that didn't function correctly. Whenever I have run across a "no-spark" situation, it has been the pulse coil.
I have road tested and compared most of the Ebay "performance CDI boxes" on my Aero 125 with a two CDI switching system, most are the same as stock but one had less power than stock. I have found the 84 Aero 50 CDI box will wake up a Spree or Cub big time, ( but don't know if it will cause damage)
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
The Ancient Mariner
Noob
Noob

OK. I'll check the pulse coil too.

If the exciter coil isn't functioning, I suppose this would cause problems as well? I guess I'll just check the whole electrical works.
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

found this on fleabay selling close to $40 with shipping & handling fees:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1986-84-86 ... 4897.l5671
The Ancient Mariner
Noob
Noob

All these used CDI's are going for $$- I guess there aren't too many new one floating around the internets then? I'm hesitant to drop $70 on a used part that might not even work!
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

PM Sent..
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Don't spend a dime on a CDI box just yet, yours is probably okay. Just install yours on a running Spree and you will know for sure. I bought every performance CDI I could locate just to do a comparison test of them, I think the most I spent each was $20 for new units.
Most of those performance CDI's are no better than stock, one actually had less power than a stock one.
If you lived near me, I would put yours on one of my scooters and you could take a drive.
If you don't have spark, recheck the pulse coil and exciter coil, and triple check the stop wire, make sure that wire is open circuit to ground.
I highly suspect your stop wire, the one that goes from the CDI box, to the ignition switch and the handlebar kill switch, is grounded, when that wire touches ground the ignition shorts out and the engine stops.
Keep us posted on your progress.

The Ancient Mariner
Noob
Noob

Oh man, thanks for the info ya'll.

I won't have a progress update for another two weeks tho- I'm working on the project weekends with my pops, and he's out of town for the next two. In the meantime I printed up the repair manual and will be binding it at work this week to begin studying this strange little machine. I literally have no idea how a scooter functions, and I'm excited to learn all about 'em by fixing this ol' 86. up.

I've sourced a tested CDI locally, and will be picking it up whether my issue is related to my scooter's CDI or not. If my current CDI is actually good, then hey, I'll have a spare to keep with the scoot. I really just don't trust magic little black boxes! Call me old fashioned...
The Ancient Mariner
Noob
Noob

The new CDI got spark going to my new plugs, hurray!

Then I cleaned the carb and put everything back in place...

Then the engine puttered for like 1 second... and then the starter motor quit working and started smoking.

I was jumping power directly to the starter motor from a Toyota Echo's car battery- did I fry the motor because I was running too many amps of juice through it? Can I bypass the electric start and get a kickstarter for this thing?
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

The Ancient Mariner wrote:The new CDI got spark going to my new plugs, hurray!

Then I cleaned the carb and put everything back in place...

Then the engine puttered for like 1 second... and then the starter motor quit working and started smoking.

I was jumping power directly to the starter motor from a Toyota Echo's car battery- did I fry the motor because I was running too many amps of juice through it? Can I bypass the electric start and get a kickstarter for this thing?

Yup
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
The Ancient Mariner
Noob
Noob

Well sh*t.

I'm rebuilding this thing for my mom (Who is almost 60), so I'll have to pick up another motor and use an appropriately sized batter from now on. I can't see her wanting to learn how to kickstart a motor.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

if your power was directly to the starter motor then only the starter motor will be fried .Just replace it
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

The starter didn't fry from jump starting, it fried because; (a) it is not very strong to begin with,(b) it is almost thirty years old,(c) it was cranked on too long ( got hot ) (d) those starters are really really weak.
I use only Yuasa brand batteries in the scooters I keep and the crappy cheap batteries in the scooters I sell. My personal scooters ALWAYS start, no matter how far from home I am, because I use the good batteries.
Note there are two different size Spree starters, the early ones have ten teeth or splines the later ones have 11 teeth or splines. They cannot be interchanged.
You can easily add kick start to your early Spree by using the cover and outer drive pulley half from a 1986 Spree. This is a fifteen minute conversion that is super easy and quick to do.