1985 Spree CDI Testing & Replacement

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

patthesoundguy

Re: 1985 Spree CDI Testing & Replacement

Post by patthesoundguy »

Johnniespeed wrote:The starter didn't fry from jump starting, it fried because; (a) it is not very strong to begin with,(b) it is almost thirty years old,(c) it was cranked on too long ( got hot ) (d) those starters are really really weak.
I use only Yuasa brand batteries in the scooters I keep and the crappy cheap batteries in the scooters I sell. My personal scooters ALWAYS start, no matter how far from home I am, because I use the good batteries.
Note there are two different size Spree starters, the early ones have ten teeth or splines the later ones have 11 teeth or splines. They cannot be interchanged.
You can easily add kick start to your early Spree by using the cover and outer drive pulley half from a 1986 Spree. This is a fifteen minute conversion that is super easy and quick to do.
The kick start added to the 84 85 spree is as easy as johonniespeed says it is a great addition. I still never had to use it even with my spree bbk. Good batteries do make the difference. And remember you cant fry a starter by having mor amperage at its disposal. The starter will still only draw as much amperage as its needs to do its job or is designed to draw. If that were true if you plugged in a lamp that requires only one amp in to a plug that was capable of ssupplying 15 amps the lamp would blow up, it doesn't work that way fortunately for us, I m with Johhniespeed on all of his probable causes for the starter failure :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Johnniespeed wrote:The starter didn't fry from jump starting, it fried because; (a) it is not very strong to begin with,(b) it is almost thirty years old,(c) it was cranked on too long ( got hot ) (d) those starters are really really weak.
I use only Yuasa brand batteries in the scooters I keep and the crappy cheap batteries in the scooters I sell. My personal scooters ALWAYS start, no matter how far from home I am, because I use the good batteries.
Note there are two different size Spree starters, the early ones have ten teeth or splines the later ones have 11 teeth or splines. They cannot be interchanged.
You can easily add kick start to your early Spree by using the cover and outer drive pulley half from a 1986 Spree. This is a fifteen minute conversion that is super easy and quick to do.
The kick start added to the 84 85 spree is as easy as johonniespeed says it is a great addition. I still never had to use it even with my spree bbk. Good batteries do make the difference. And remember you cant fry a starter by having mor amperage at its disposal. The starter will still only draw as much amperage as its needs to do its job or is designed to draw. If that were true if you plugged in a lamp that requires only one amp in to a plug that was capable of ssupplying 15 amps the lamp would blow up, it doesn't work that way fortunately for us, I m with Johhniespeed on all of his probable causes for the starter failure :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
The Ancient Mariner
Noob
Noob

Post by The Ancient Mariner »

Righteous.

I've got a used starter motor on order, and if I still have starter motor trouble with the new battery, I'm switching out to a kickstarter.

Thanks to everybody for all the help so far. This little spree of mine is going to need a lot of help to get it running again.